• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF Thread of the day: Ofcom say BBC licence should be shared with rivals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF Thread of the day: Ofcom say BBC licence should be shared with rivals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7339381.stm

Rivals 'should share licence fee'

Some of the BBC's licence fee should go to commercial broadcasters, the media watchdog Ofcom has suggested.

The redistribution proposal would help the BBC's rivals to support public service programming, including news.

Ofcom's review of public broadcasting makes other suggestions, including more direct funding from the government and a levy on commercial broadcasters.

The body says ITV, Channel 4 and Five have been struggling to finance their public service programming.

There has been a 25% drop in spending in these areas over the last five years, it adds.

Detrimental

Ofcom warns there is a danger of the BBC becoming the sole provider of regional news programmes and children's shows in particular.

This, it says, would be detrimental to broadcasting as a whole.

One way it suggests to safeguard competition is to give Channel 4 a bigger role or let commercial broadcasters bid for funding.

Ofcom concludes that if this money comes from the existing licence fee, which generates £3.2bn per year, it could be damaging to the BBC.

I find the last sentence puzzling. Either they admit they're talking crap, or they expect the sharing to come from an additional fee. Who are these monkeys.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

I'd much rather just have adverts and pay nothing. Sky+ means you don't even have to watch them...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      I'd much rather just have adverts and pay nothing. Sky+ means you don't even have to watch them...

Me too, or at least the ability to opt out of receiving these channels. You can probably watch all the interesting stuff (if there is any on the BBC these days) on their free iPlayer!
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Is there anything worthwhile to watch on ITV at all these days? I would not mind adverts during the daytime TV on BBC - truely dreadful stuff which I never watch anyway.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

The BBC needs to have a clear charter and stop paying gobtulipes like Jonathon Woss and Graham Nobrain loads of dosh to do something the commercial channels would do anyway. They need to stop bidding for major sporting events and be a public service broadcaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            They need to stop bidding for major sporting events and be a public service broadcaster.
            I thought broadcasting major sporting events was a public service?

PS Have sky hd so don't care what you plebs watch

Comment

The BBC needs to have a clear charter and stop paying gobtulipes like Jonathon Woss and Graham Nobrain loads of dosh to do something the commercial channels would do anyway. They need to stop bidding for major sporting events and be a public service broadcaster.
              Absolutely spot on

I just hate the whole idea of the TV license. It's prehistoric for gods sake.

Still if you're blind you get 50% off. WTF? You should get 95% off.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Agree up to the sporting events bit - for my money that's part of it's job as a public broadcaster. Or alternatively some, major, events should be required to be available on free to air.

Personally I like the BBC and have no real issue paying the fee. When you see the absolutely dire offerings on show in other countries and what happens when it's all up for grabs you start to appreciate it more.
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  I thought broadcasting major sporting events was a public service?
                  I've always thought there needs to be a clear division of what counts as public service broadcasting (i.e. news, education, children's TV) which can come from a licence fee (though not exclusively to the BBC as is being suggested), but Top Gear, Eastenders, Jonathan Woss, £40m for formula one, yet another boring costume drama etc., really shouldn't be funded by the tax payer.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Top Gear, Eastenders, Jonathan Woss, £40m for formula one, yet another boring costume drama etc., really shouldn't be funded by the tax payer.
                    Agreed. None of those are major sporting events.

Comment

Working...
                    X