• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-Army IT Folk

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex-Army IT Folk

One of my hobbies is chuckling at the ways of ex-army folk who have crossed over to IT. Generally a good bunch but on the whole a bit mental.

I remember one PM, an american in Germany, who used to bark out order. Every discussion was like an argument. Even when you were agreeing with each other.

Another lad had no initiative. He would never try anything new, was never ambitious at doing new things for his career but if he got an order from on high he'd plug away till the job was done. If I was told to do something I'd bitch and complain and come up with better ways to do it but he'd just get stuck in, finish the job, then bitch and complain and laugh afterwards. Good bloke.

I reckon you can always spot the ex-army guys.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    One of my hobbies is chuckling at the ways of ex-army folk who have crossed over to IT.
    You need some new hobbies. Try strangling small animals and winking.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      You need some new hobbies. Try strangling small animals and winking.
      w anking
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

They're either washed out no-good ex-junior officers who reckon they know everything (usually thick as planks) or no-initiative other ranks who are good at implementation if well led.
        Although, as the exception that proves the rule, one of the best PMs I've come across was a very young ex-Major. Obviously could have gone up the army ranks but had a genuine reason for leaving.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yeah - and they try and cook sausages using large empty baked bean tins while trying to sell cheese to the french.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            They're either washed out no-good ex-junior officers who reckon they know everything (usually thick as planks) or no-initiative other ranks who are good at implementation if well led.
            Although, as the exception that proves the rule, one of the best PMs I've come across was a very young ex-Major. Obviously could have gone up the army ranks but had a genuine reason for leaving.
            I suppose the Army is a pretty shallow pyramid, i.e. lots of foot soldiers, some NCOs, a few captains & majors, but not a lot of generals & brigadiers needed. So there is perhaps no shame in retiring from it rather than climbing up the career ladder.

OTOH I might ask why business does have so many superior officers. Are they really needed?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              OTOH I might ask why business does have so many superior officers. Are they really needed?
              Have you ever worked for the civil service?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                No, but in the status obsessed culture we've created having a big job title is more important than doing any real work.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

One of the most hard-working and dedicated permie sys admins I've ever worked with was ex-Army, hell of a nice guy too. One of those JFDI types that could find any workaround to a problem, guaranteed.

He was made redundant. Probably because he kept his head down and got on with the job without shouting about it, and lauding his 'profile' about, and networking at parties, so he wasn't very 'visible' within the company.

Comment

Ex-army: I like to blow up a crisp packet and burst it behind them. Try it, works every time.

Comment

Working...
                    X