• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will they ever get it right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will they ever get it right?

I didnt know where to post this.

From the CUK news page: http://www.contractoruk.com/news/003739.html

As it didn’t, Andrew Miller MP, who drew up the plan, said he is wording a definition to exempt professional service providers, like IT contractors, who use agencies from equal treatment.
    When he was drafting the Temporary and Agency Workers Bill, the MP said he was “conscious” that he did not want to include providers of professional services who chose to work via agencies.
    He seems to think that we have a choice when it comes to using agents.
    (I know some go direct, but the majority use agents).

What annoys me, time and again, is generations of MPs legislating based on a snap shot view instead of becoming familiar with the whole story and the historical reasons behind it. NL have been spectacular in their tunnel vision.
    If they took an interest in their subject we may never have had such farces as IR35, S660 and The Conduct of Employment Agents act.

Most on here know the history, why dont they?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

From that CUK article:

Though the government has said it won't damage the UK's flexible labour market by rubber-stamping the commission’s demands, ..
    ROFL - The government will roll over to have their tummies tickled, like they always do with the EU

Comment

This govenment has done more to damage the flexible labour market in the UK than the EU. They talk up small business but tax it to death.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        This govenment has done more to damage the flexible labour market in the UK than the EU. They talk up small business but tax it to death.
        Because, like motorists, small businesses are easy money for the Gov't because they assume you're sooo busy trying to make money for yourself you can't spare the time to look at how you can legally avoid paying.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

It's because of clueless loons like this MP that I've become convinced the EU has our, contractors that is, rights more in mind than the UK government ever will.

On the otherhand, what he says appears so stupid, that it is probably just some sound-bite for the meeja and he won't actually be doing anything, so is not to be taken seriously.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
          X