• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate web front ends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate web front ends

I hate web front ends. They are invariably, invariably terrible. You click a button and wait a minute for the next screen, then all the text is deleted randomly, then the browser crashes.

Every system I have ever worked on with a web frontend has been rubbish. I just want to type text then have it saved centrally for other people to see. it should work and be simple.

I prefer a nice gooey front end

Comment

The web front ends I create are easy to use, fast and reliable.

However 90% of the web front ends (especially online banks) I come across are appalling.

Comment

One website I've seen uses a completely client side flash shopping basket system. It's not that great to be honest, but it feels weird to use because everything responds instantly. It just shows how we've all come to have low user-interface expectations because of the web.

On the plus side, having moved everything from the server, to the desktop and back to the server again, no doubt there'll be lots of work for us moving everything back to the desktop again.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Good when needed.

I find that often they are implemented when NOT necessary (internally) and an older more robust solution is better/faster, e.g. MS Access front end (unbound forms etc.) running on a proper database (Oracle, SQL Server)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            However 90% of the web front ends (especially online banks) I come across are appalling.
            Tell me about it - My bank emailed me only the other day, saying I had to confirm all my account details, and I noticed spelling mistakes on the page!

Talk about sloppy - Must be the outsourcing to Nigeria, if the URL was anything to go by. Got it all sorted though, so I shouldn't have any trouble with Internet banking now.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
              Tell me about it - My bank emailed me only the other day, saying I had to confirm all my account details, and I noticed spelling mistakes on the page!

Talk about sloppy - Must be the outsourcing to Nigeria, if the URL was anything to go by. Got it all sorted though, so I shouldn't have any trouble with Internet banking now.

Hmmmm, something fishy here. A 'woman' with a sophisticated (by my standards) sense of humour. Have the AtW fembots finally achieved self-awareness and will go on to re-make Westworld?
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                I hate web front ends. They are invariably, invariably terrible. You click a button and wait a minute for the next screen, then all the text is deleted randomly, then the browser crashes.

Every system I have ever worked on with a web frontend has been rubbish. I just want to type text then have it saved centrally for other people to see. it should work and be simple.
                Nothing like a good old 3270 green screen...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  The web front ends I create are easy to use, fast and reliable.

Which banks out of interest? And why appalling?
                  If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Nothing like a good old 3270 green screen...
                    Agreed, or even a nice vt100 green screen. My last gig they replaced a green screen app with a GUI (MS Axapta), it went from 1 Unix server serving 1200 users, to 25 Windows Boxes serving the same user population.

By far the biggest complaint was the increase in time taken to enter the same data they used to enter. With green screen, a user could enter a contract in about 5 minutes, it now takes about 30mins to do the same.

Add to that the tulipe performance over the WAN of the Windows desktop.

Have seen the same at other places, replacing green screen apps, with a GUI. Always kills productivity.

As for web apps, AJAX has improved things somewhat.
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                    X