• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OK, who tried to shaft the VAT man, and lost?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, who tried to shaft the VAT man, and lost?

Which one of you lot is this??!

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...0082930AACPUv7

A good example of why you should NEVER, above all other taxes, mess up your VAT returns
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Especially when VAT is by far the easiest tax to calculate yourself.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

You have to admire the kind of mentality that, when confronted with a massive VAT demand, the threat of 100% penalties, and the likelihood of bankruptcy, sets out to find out what to do by posting on Yahoo! Answers

I probably shouldn't post this, but it's a real quote from a very senior developer at Y!, speaking at an internal webdev conference:

So much of what we do involves lists. Flickr is lists of images; del.icio.us is lists of links; Answers is lists of idiots asking 'How can I tell if I'm pregnant?'

Comment

So what is cuk a list of?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          So much of what we do involves lists. Flickr is lists of images; del.icio.us is lists of links; Answers is lists of idiots asking 'How can I tell if I'm pregnant?'

ROFLMFAO
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            ATw's fembots.

And spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Drivel, of course

Comment

and of course the poor chap had been given the wrong advice anyway.

He only has to pay the fine and VAT on the 14K as the first 65K would have been VAT Free over the 12 month period
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Wilm-slow, please post all of your questions on Yahoo! Answers in future.

Thanks.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    and of course the poor chap had been given the wrong advice anyway.

He only has to pay the fine and VAT on the 14K as the first 65K would have been VAT Free over the 12 month period

Not so sure of that. Isn't it that you have to register for VAT when you know you're going to go over the threashold, which could be a lot sooner than hitting 65k, and have to pay VAT on anything once you should have registered? Similar to the 2 year rule on expenses, where you can't claim once you know you're going to go over 2 years.

In fact is must be. Those of us that register asap upon opening a Ltd company still have to charge/pay VAT well before we hit the 65k.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X