• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Company Reccomendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Company Reccomendations

Ok...from the start, this is not a moan post at a specific company, unlike yesterday's which was a venting of frustration. This is more of a rant at a raft of companies since I've started looking for a new UC.

I am looking for the following :

An Umbrella Company that does PAYE.

I an NOT looking for the following :

1. Weekly newsletters from the UC stating how good they are, how many awards they have won, how competitive their services are, etc etc etc.

2. "Value-added services" which I will never use, but will of course be included in my monthly service fee. Examples as follows

a) a 24/7 Account Manager called Brittany, who rings me every day in a husky voice to see how splendid I am with their service and if I know anyone else who may be interested in "talking to her". Look Brittany, if you are that desperate to chat to people, you should join a sex line.

b) a 24/7 "Independent" Financial Adviser, who can "save you money on mortgages, loans, arms deals and narcotics smuggling". I do not need these services anymore, since my Witness Protection Scheme kicked in, thank you very much.

c) a 24/7 Legal Advice Team, to represent me in HMRC disputes, road rage, psycho neighbours or war crimes. I am IR35 caught. I deal with it. It's no problem, really.

d) a 24/7 deluge of trivial SMS messages that arrive in coitus interruptus, or when I am on the khazi, fixing the sink in the kitchen or hiding away in my private monastery in Tibet, which has no telephone communication and yet they still seem to track me down.

e) 16 page invoices, emailed in PDF form and then sent snail mail on the most exquisite paper imaginable, created from the wood pulp of Mongolian Goji Berry bushes, compacted and organically hand dried with the last dying breaths of seahorses and then gently dusted with the residue from the wings of the Queen Alexandra's Birdwing butterfly. A simple 1 page PDF will do, but if you really must send snail mail, a plain A4 will do.

f) A "Contractors Forum" which makes CUK look positively small in comparison, and features more entries than all the Earths telephone books for "Smith" and "Jones". If I want to mindlessly indulge myself in complete drivel, I have CUK to support me, and if I want to get industry knowledge, CUK does have useful posts too (it ain't all bad!)

g) A 24/7 "emergency" number to call if I have any emergency whatsoever. Whilst I don't want to belittle a potential company's assistance, I really don't think I shall be calling Gary at 2am in the morning when my house is under sustained attack by 3 foot high sex-crazed pygmies who are intent on making my domestic labradoodle called "Fluffy" their new Love God.

Is that too much to ask ?

All I want is simple PAYE, done correctly, efficiently and on time, with a CHAP's payment when needed.

So why oh why oh why do UC's insist on foistering upon non-essential services when all it does is push up my monthly fee.

I think I have just answered my own question.

Anyone know of an Umbrella Company that does PAYE, but doesn't include all the other fripperies mentioned above ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

a) a 24/7 Account Manager called Brittany, who rings me every day in a husky voice to see how splendid I am with their service and if I know anyone else who may be interested in "talking to her". Look Brittany, if you are that desperate to chat to people, you should join a sex line.
    Sounds like one for me. Want's to be called 'Brittany', OK. What is 'her' number?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Sounds like one for me. Want's to be called 'Brittany', OK. What is 'her' number?
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Oi BGG, how much are you willing to pay for the services you require?

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          Ok...from the start, this is not a moan post at a specific company, unlike yesterday's which was a venting of frustration. This is more of a rant at a raft of companies since I've started looking for a new UC.

I am looking for the following :

An Umbrella Company that does PAYE.

I an NOT looking for the following :

1. Weekly newsletters from the UC stating how good they are, how many awards they have won, how competitive their services are, etc etc etc.

2. "Value-added services" which I will never use, but will of course be included in my monthly service fee. Examples as follows

b) a 24/7 "Independent" Financial Adviser, who can "save you money on mortgages, loans, arms deals and narcotics smuggling". I do not need these services anymore, since my Witness Protection Scheme kicked in, thank you very much.

c) a 24/7 Legal Advice Team, to represent me in HMRC disputes, road rage, psycho neighbours or war crimes. I am IR35 caught. I deal with it. It's no problem, really.

d) a 24/7 deluge of trivial SMS messages that arrive in coitus interruptus, or when I am on the khazi, fixing the sink in the kitchen or hiding away in my private monastery in Tibet, which has no telephone communication and yet they still seem to track me down.

e) 16 page invoices, emailed in PDF form and then sent snail mail on the most exquisite paper imaginable, created from the wood pulp of Mongolian Goji Berry bushes, compacted and organically hand dried with the last dying breaths of seahorses and then gently dusted with the residue from the wings of the Queen Alexandra's Birdwing butterfly. A simple 1 page PDF will do, but if you really must send snail mail, a plain A4 will do.

f) A "Contractors Forum" which makes CUK look positively small in comparison, and features more entries than all the Earths telephone books for "Smith" and "Jones". If I want to mindlessly indulge myself in complete drivel, I have CUK to support me, and if I want to get industry knowledge, CUK does have useful posts too (it ain't all bad!)

g) A 24/7 "emergency" number to call if I have any emergency whatsoever. Whilst I don't want to belittle a potential company's assistance, I really don't think I shall be calling Gary at 2am in the morning when my house is under sustained attack by 3 foot high sex-crazed pygmies who are intent on making my domestic labradoodle called "Fluffy" their new Love God.

Is that too much to ask ?

All I want is simple PAYE, done correctly, efficiently and on time, with a CHAP's payment when needed.

So why oh why oh why do UC's insist on foistering upon non-essential services when all it does is push up my monthly fee.

I think I have just answered my own question.

Anyone know of an Umbrella Company that does PAYE, but doesn't include all the other fripperies mentioned above ?
          You forgot about online training!! Surely worth the cash every month alone

Comment

Just go ltd
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
            X