• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting to Permie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting to Permie?

Think I might have lost the plot but considering going back to permie for locality, decent salary etc etc. has anyone ever took the step and was the worse decision of there life?

Any comments appreciated

Originally posted by bsnapool View Post
    Think I might have lost the plot but considering going back to permie for locality, decent salary etc etc. has anyone ever took the step and was the worse decision of there life?

Any comments appreciated
    I suggest you read any post made by Wilmslow if you need to be dissuaded...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Any comments appreciated
      taken

worst

their

It may be harder than you think, unless you have an offer lined up, because permie recruiters generally reckon (usually rightly) that an ex-contractor will be up and away at the first sign of an upturn.

(P.S. This should be in the CUK FAQ)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I suggest you read any post made by Wilmslow if you need to be dissuaded...
        Wilm-Slow
        That boy go raaaaaaa
        Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

The strange thing is I have been offered two permie positions!!!! Dilemma!!! Both decent wages!! Not been in this prediciment for a good few years. sometime the travel pisses me off!! but i love the freedom.

Comment

Both decent wages

Define a decent permie wage?
            That boy go raaaaaaa
            Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Any comments appreciated
              Hello,

I think it all depends on the environment. I have very bad contracts and good permie jobs and bad permie jobs and good contracts and so on...

Moneywise in the last years it hasn't be that different. Considering a more stable income earning 20-30% more a year but with the risk of earning less than 50% I consider it acceptable. It also depends on how you let yourself dragged in the office politics. The annoying thing as a permie is that you are expected to make up for all possible tasks and to cover the manager inadequacies and take up lots of managers' tasks yourself. It suits people with a wider range of skills who don't want just to dedicate to a few specific tasks. If you can look at it as a long term contract and you know you will be out of there in 2-3 years then you'll be fine. If you get dragged with all your feet then you either change or you'll collapse.

Good luck.
              Francko
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                Define a decent permie wage?
                Most contracts are in the range of 400-500 quid(that makes between 80k to 110k a year depending on bench periods). A salary of 70-80k + bonus + benefit is almost equivalent in terms of available income.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

That is a very good question!! a decent permie wage is probably less than half of what im on at the minute. I think my long term goal if i was to accept one of the permie position would to take advantage of training budget, become more skilled and go back contracting couple of yrs. But dont want to take it and then 1 month in relaise i have made the wrong decision!!! Would be gutted. unlike contracting the notice periods are a life time!!! Any suggestion?

Comment

Any comments appreciated
                    I am doing just that, because it offers the alledged stability as opposed to hoping every 3 months - also, because they are looking for perms to replace backfill contractors. There is a large project, estimated for 3 years - my boss is very chilled, told me the tulipe to say to personnel and get skilled up, then head back out contracting once the work is done.

Bills to pay and a mortgage, so personally I am taking the permie job knowing I am enjoying the firm, and know what I am getting into. Money also very good for permie in mid 40's.

Think about the firm you are joining - also think about what your contracting options are.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X