• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want a Cab, innit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a Cab, innit

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....&in_page_id=34

It had four wheels and cost a lot of money but, sadly for one impatient teenager, the similarity ended there.

A teenager was greeted by a display cabinet instead of a taxi because her 'Ali G-style' slang confused a series of phone operators.

The girl hurriedly dialled directory inq*uiries to book a taxi from her home in London to Bristol airport, using the cockney rhyming slang Joe Baxi.

But the operator told her they were unable to find anyone by that name.
    Seething, the youngster snapped back: 'It ain't a person, it's a cab, innit.'

The operator duly gave her what she asked for and put her through to the nearest supplier of cabinets, Displaysense.

The teenager must have felt the world was against her when a cabinet saleswoman seemed equally confused.

'Look love, how hard is it?' she fumed. 'All I want is your cheapest cab, innit. I need it for 10am. How much is it?' The sales adviser told her £180. The tantrum-throwing teenager quickly left her address details before ringing off.

The next morning, rather than being picked up by a cab, the young woman had the cabinet dropped off.

The huffy teenager's use of 'Ali G-style slang' caused the mix-up, said marketing manager Steve Whittle.

'Our sales team deal with thousands of customers and a range of different accents but, on this occasion, they were really stumped,' he added.

The company has since apologised, offered her a refund and suggested she should perhaps speak a bit clearer on the phone in future.

Mr Whittle added: 'We don't know if she made it to the airport but she did ask our driver if he could give her a lift.'
    Coffee's for closers

So she agreed to pay £180 for a taxi journey.

Plan B will be providing taxis for chavs.

Comment

using the cockney rhyming slang Joe Baxi
      It's sherbet (dib-dab) FFS!

Stoopid chavs can't even get cockney rhyming slang right
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Proves the benefits of a common language.

My son, aged 6, claims to have invented a new language when he writes (if he draws a picture he has to write a sentence on it).

Problem is he can't remember the language so cannot read what he wrote the following day.

I have pointed out the benefits of writing in English. I just hope he will learn...

Comment

Most under people under 30 darn sarf seem to speak Estuary English, which seems to be a combination of Mockney, Ali G, and Valley Girl.

I don't know what this once great country is coming to!
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Sounds to me like her human rights have been breached, or sumink.

Makes me laugh, especially all the white kids trying to be black. The cockney accent will have disappeared in 50 years, replaced by some weird asian, Jamaican, mockney mix.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Most under people under 30 darn sarf seem to speak Estuary English, which seems to be a combination of Mockney, Ali G, and Valley Girl.

I don't know what this once great country is coming to!
              You should write a letter to the times.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                You should write a letter to the times.
                I would but alas I don't live in Tunbridge Wells
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

We were shopping in Croydon (of all places) and the better half asked the (stunning but chav) shopping assistant for some perfume.

I had to step in and translate after the assistant had tried to explain twice that they didn't actually have that brand. As we walked away the better half commented that the girl must be foreign. No I said, just from Croydon.

Comment

I did love that Nissan advert where the japanese chap translated from Geordie to English.

Comment

Working...
                    X