• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 jobs, one person dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 jobs, one person dilemma

Ok, 3.5 months getting splinters and I now have 2 contract offers, looks like I am in Bod's boat...
    When you have one offer it all seems a bit easier on the decision front.
    Choices:
    - Possibly long term contract (last guy stayed 4 yrs) that I can get to from home but is at limit of comfort zone. Rate is bumping along the bottom of my comfort zone despite all my efforts. Might be a safe harbour !
    OR
    - Initially short term (2 months) but good chance of longer requirement if I do the business, which I expect to. 30 mins from home, probably nicer site. Rate isn't spectacular but 10k a year better than choice 1.
    Work involved at both is likely to be equally stimulating and useful experience wise although B might be in a better industry sector (or maybe not as it is finance !)

Nice dilemma to have though and got another interview on Monday !!
    Good luck to all looking, remember it can turn round in a phone call.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Ok, 3.5 months getting splinters and I now have 2 contract offers, looks like I am in Bod's boat...
    When you have one offer it all seems a bit easier on the decision front.
    Choices:
    - Possibly long term contract (last guy stayed 4 yrs) that I can get to from home but is at limit of comfort zone. Rate is bumping along the bottom of my comfort zone despite all my efforts. Might be a safe harbour !
    OR
    - Initially short term (2 months) but good chance of longer requirement if I do the business, which I expect to. 30 mins from home, probably nicer site. Rate isn't spectacular but 10k a year better than choice 1.
    Work involved at both is likely to be equally stimulating and useful experience wise although B might be in a better industry sector (or maybe not as it is finance !)

Nice dilemma to have though and got another interview on Monday !!
    Good luck to all looking, remember it can turn round in a phone call.
    Congrats looks like the tide is turning.

Comment

good luck Luke, I think it's down to you now,

personally, I might go for the safe harbour, but you know, I drive a passat

spoke to an agent today asked him how the .net market is and if the credit crunch is affecting things, he said that there was a bit of a down turn in the market but that seems to have passed now and it's all systems go

interpret that as you wish, do your own research etc

Milan.

Comment

Crikey, this is encouraging!

I'd probably go with the safe harbour and bail once things pickup.
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
          Crikey, this is encouraging!

I'd probably go with the safe harbour and bail once things pickup.

Why do people do that? it's very unprofessional and you could end up with a reputation, if you don't like the terms don't take it.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Confused.com

Well done obviously and all that - if you can't decide between the 2, surely the last thing you do is over complicate things by going for a 3rd interview? Unless you are not satisfied with either one or you are too picky (can you afford to be?). Last but not least, by now you must be getting constant phone calls from the agents to accept - or there will be someone poor bugger that hasn't been told anything and he is waiting in the wings (like some here) that he is aching to find out. So apart from the agents (OK, don't care) there may be others that will be affected by your decision. I suggest you come clean and decide pronto what you want to do for your sake and others' .
            Last edited by Dow Jones; 11 April 2008, 15:02.

Comment

Bagpuss is right

I didn't want to so sound so harsh, but WHS is true. I think you may be on an ego trip here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Why do people do that? it's very unprofessional and you could end up with a reputation, if you don't like the terms don't take it.
                I know quite a few that do it!

I'm not saying leave the client in a difficult situation or burn your bridge, just leave at a convenient point (like at the point of renewal).

A couple of guys I know are ruthless, 1 week notice and off...
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Safe, Slow and Steady wins the race.

Good Luck Luke !
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                    I know quite a few that do it!

I'm not saying leave the client in a difficult situation or burn your bridge, just leave at a convenient point (like at the point of renewal).

A couple of guys I know are ruthless, 1 week notice and off...
                    I wasn't having a go at you, I just don't understand people who jump ship as soon as the market picks up, as you say I'd at least do the 6 months before I left, unless terms were not as agreed. The one weeks guys are the ones who will find it hard when the recession comes.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X