• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The worst ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst ever

My current contract is pretty crumby. It goes something like: perpetually do a bit, wait for some other team/person to deliver something that never gets delivered. Then I do their job as well as my own just so we can progress a bit more. Then the client changes their requirements so I delete and rework what I've previously done and so on.

Then occasionally the technology the system is based on changes (has actualy happened twice in 6 months) so a good portion of everything at best needs porting or worst again binning and rewriting.

The rate is fairly good and it's work from home but you start thinking there could be something better...
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Sounds good to me. That is what IT is about. Just about everything you can do with a computer has already been coded so every so often someone invents a new framework and everything gets rewritten to use it...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
      My current contract is pretty crumby. It goes something like: perpetually do a bit, wait for some other team/person to deliver something that never gets delivered. Then I do their job as well as my own just so we can progress a bit more. Then the client changes their requirements so I delete and rework what I've previously done and so on.

Then occasionally the technology the system is based on changes (has actualy happened twice in 6 months) so a good portion of everything at best needs porting or worst again binning and rewriting.

The rate is fairly good and it's work from home but you start thinking there could be something better...

Doesn't sound intellectually satisfying, but from a kerrrrching point of view sounds perfect. Just relax, invoice and enjoy.

Comment

I agree with DP.

Sounds like a license to print money. I'd be quite happy sailing along with that.
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Just go with it until you find something else, take the money and smile
          Just sliding through ..........

Comment

Maybe it's just me being unconventional in a contractor domain but I do like a project to progress (eventually) to a successful completion but this one has being going pretty much nowhere for 12months.

Anyway I didn't start this thread with the intention of just having a moan and picking this one to bits...hasn't anyone got anything worse than mine?

Comment

Thats only your current contract? I get that with nearly every contract!!

I thought that is why they brought contractors in?

I've lost count of how many times I have had to reivent the wheel, in some other platform, framework, pattern, concept.

Sit back and enjoy your daily rate, at least you don't have to commute for it. I currently have to commute an hour each way to do exactly the same thing.
              threenine.co.uk
              Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

OT for the moderator - at what point do you get you posts posted directly to board without review on here?

Comment

Mine is....

At the interview - they told me that they don't have any proper documented processes...

Get the role

They tell me to document the processes they don't have. <2 months>

They say I need to do a PID and get it agreed by the 'bigwigs' - nine versions later after numerous scope changes etc - it gets agreed <2 months>

Do the work <1 month>

Told to reformat the documents <global alignment> and on the review merry-go-round - <1 month+>

Now start an extension tomorrow......

And that's without internal audit involvement - it could run and run.....

T

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post

Nope, nothing could be better - IT contracting wise, an endless round of rewrites is as good as it gets (and in different technologies each time too, you lucky dog!).

If only more of my contracts were the same, instead of having to deliver a finished product, leaving no reason for renewal (sigh).
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X