• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DBA careers feedback

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DBA careers feedback

Hi,

I am a university careers adviser and I have been tasked with updating the graduate occupational profile for the role of 'Database Administrator'. See link:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/downloads...inistrator.pdf

In order to ensure the accuracy of this profile and to update its content in line with industry demands and DBA role development I would very much appreciate a professional perspective and comments in relation to the profile.

I would very much appreciate your valuable insight in to duties and responsibilties of a DBA and any comments you might have in terms of academic and professional training, and relevant personal attributes would be most welcome.

I have attached a job analysis questionnaire that can be completed in about 10 minutes and I can email this to anyone who is willing and able to spare a few minutes of their valuable to ensure that others have accurate careers information.

Thank you.

Regards

Careersguy

DBA - The last refuge of the crap programmer.

Comment

DBA is the 21st century equivalent of the guy who used to run the stores in a factory.

"No I can't let you have that, or else everyone will want one".

"If I let you take that, we won't have any in stock, and someone else might want one."

"No you can't have that one on the shelf, you have to order one 3 weeks in advance".

"No that's just for display, you have to order it."

etc

HTH

Comment

As you're "the commercial subsidiary of HECSU" shouldn't you be paying someone for this kind of input?

Also, you haven't attached anything, and have no contact details for emailing it back anyway.

HTH
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          As you're "the commercial subsidiary of HECSU" shouldn't you be paying someone for this kind of input?
          Perhaps that's why he's getting quality replies?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            DBA - The last refuge of the crap programmer.
            I tend to agree, that's why I thought the thread title was "DBA carers feedback" when I first looked.
            If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

'The range of salaries depends on the industry and location. Rates tend to be higher in London and the South East
              and lower in rural areas.'

DBA roles in rural areas ? lol. This definately needs a rewrite matey

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
                I tend to agree, that's why I thought the thread title was "DBA carers feedback" when I first looked.
                Now I think that should be a career. Caring for the sad, broken unfortunates who fate has decreed should be DBAs.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

How is it that DBA's think they understand the application better than development architects and insist that they can do a better db design for applications than the developer architects ?

DBA's should just shutup and do what they are told - end of.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    How is it that DBA's think they understand the application better than development architects and insist that they can do a better db design for applications than the developer architects ?

DBA's should just shutup and do what they are told - end of.

Milan.
                    Who the **** asked you?

I thought you were a "SAP" fanny!

Comment

Working...
                    X