• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chickenpox lurgey please advise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chickenpox lurgey please advise?

Hello,
    A colleague in the office where I work (sits next to me) was diagnosed with shingles/chickenpox, last wednesday, like me he's a contractor and doesnt get sick pay so hes reluctant to stay off any longer than necessary, the boss ordered him to have 2 days last week but he wants to come back in tomorrow, Ive got a new baby at home and have never had chicken pox, not sure if theres any guidelines about this, but surely poses the question to come in or not? as he may be contageous?
    I feel sorry for him losing money but if me or anybody else gets it we'll lose money too? hmmmmmmm?
    cheers
    badgerpig

You're all doomed!

Hth.

Comment

Maybe try a medical forum?

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/chickenpox.htm
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
        Hello,
        A colleague in the office where I work (sits next to me) was diagnosed with shingles/chickenpox, last wednesday, like me he's a contractor and doesnt get sick pay so hes reluctant to stay off any longer than necessary, the boss ordered him to have 2 days last week but he wants to come back in tomorrow, Ive got a new baby at home and have never had chicken pox, not sure if theres any guidelines about this, but surely poses the question to come in or not? as he may be contageous?
        I feel sorry for him losing money but if me or anybody else gets it we'll lose money too? hmmmmmmm?
        cheers
        badgerpig
        I think once the scbas start to come out then you stop being cuntagious...but I would check on it...
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
          I think once the scbas start to come out then you stop being cuntagious
          Clearly hasn't stopped in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Pot..Kettle...you are black....
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

You might want to check your spelling, daviejones.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post

You might want to check your spelling, daviejones.
                Sorry, my fingers and brain are disconnected this morning...

Was having a conversation while typing.....

I signed an email with Retards, instead of Regards already this morning...

Comment

I'm an expert on this.

My daughter caught it last year just before we went to Aus for a 5 week holiday. Then the missus caught it while we were there. Then I caught it as well, missing one of my best friends wedding (Symptoms came on strong on Christmas day to boot).

If he's scabbed up and they're still runny he's contagious. Pretty much 7-10 days after catching it you're a danger. As an adult it is not fun, trust me. Kids are ok with it - but here's the rub, if you get a chance get the vaccine - for your kid and for your family. The vaccine gives you a very mild version which doesn't screw you up later in life (i.e. shingles).

This colleague should stay well away, also if a pregnant women catches it it's very dangerous for the unborn child.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

It does depend on whether it shingles or chickenpox. If it's the latter then he won't be contagious once all the spots have scabbed over. Thing is it was contagious before he even got spots so if you've got it then you've got already! Your baby can only get it from you - not from secondary contact so if you have had it you're ok!

Shingles is caused by activiation of the dormant pox virus and is not triggered by chicken pox. To have it you must have had chickenpox already and it is usually triggered when you are ill in some otehr way. The bit I am not sure of is whether shingles can trigger chickenpox but I know it doesn't the otehr way round.

also depending on how old your baby is you may want them to get it while they are little as it is (allegedly) less severe. Also depends on how baby is being fed as Mum will pass some immunity through feeding baby herself, obviously not abailable with formula (Ii put that as delicately as I could!)

I would say if you have already had chickenpox you shouldn't worry!

Comment

Working...
                    X