• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who ask for things then go on holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who ask for things then go on holiday

Further to the asking for things on a Friday afternoon - has anyone had much experience with it's lesser spotted cousin the:

"High priority request for someone who will be out of the office for 2 weeks and not checking email or voicemail"

"Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

not really,

Although many years ago I spent an entire weekend producing financial reports for a finance director, who on the following monday, was asked to take a walk!

Not his fault, although i'm sure he must have seen it coming.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

What about the "must have the report on my desk by 9.00am Monday!" brigade who then leave it on their desk until late Thursday afternoon five weeks later?

Comment

You guys sound like doormats. Learn to say NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Further to the asking for things on a Friday afternoon - has anyone had much experience with it's lesser spotted cousin the:

"High priority request for someone who will be out of the office for 2 weeks and not checking email or voicemail"

What is really surprising is how easy managers can take holidays. Most people are considered essential for the outcome of the project and therefore cannot take holidays. However, managers are allowed to take holidays in the most crucial times of the project. Yet they are the ones who are paid more ...
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
            Learn to say NO.
            Ahh... old school IT

Nowadays I take a more customer friendly approach which includes being cooperative and delivering what the customer asks for.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              Ahh... old school IT

Nowadays I take a more customer friendly approach which includes being cooperative and delivering what the customer asks for.
              And charging for it.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Ahh... old school IT

Its not old school IT, its called not being taken for a ride.

I have worked with many spineless insecure muppets over the years who are pathetic little yes men. Sounds like you are another. And it does you zero good in the long run.

I have never had problems with renewals or contracts, and its because I am professional about deadlines and expectations. I dont take the piss out of the client, and they know they cannot take the piss out of me.

Feel free to go through life being spineless.. makes it easier for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  Its not old school IT, its called not being taken for a ride.

I have worked with many spineless insecure muppets over the years who are pathetic little yes men. Sounds like you are another. And it does you zero good in the long run.

I have never had problems with renewals or contracts, and its because I am professional about deadlines and expectations. I dont take the piss out of the client, and they know they cannot take the piss out of me.

Feel free to go through life being spineless.. makes it easier for the rest of us.
                  Spineless on a daily rate higher than the unorganised manager asking for the report / figures, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
                    Spineless on a daily rate higher than the unorganised manager asking for the report / figures, etc.
                    But probably not on a higher rate than the other contarctor who left on time... as the client co knew that asking him/her woul;d result in them being refused on perfectly sound basis.

Comment

Working...
                    X