• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to grab some property bargains?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to grab some property bargains?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...p04.xml&page=2

Ray Boulger, of mortgage broker John Charcol, says that if you are a first-time buyer or have nothing to sell you can be picky on price. He suggests that if a property is listed at £300,000 then it's worth putting in an offer of £249,999 or £275,000.

"There is no such thing as a silly offer. We had a client looking at a £1m property who put in an offer for £800,000. It was rejected at first before the vendor came back with a figure of £900,000 that day. A week on, the £800,000 bid was accepted.''

So prices are already realistically down 20% of asking price.

Question is, wade in now or wait another 12 months and get them 1/2 price.

5 year wait me thinks !

Comment

I believe deals like that not reflected in official house price figures? don't they just measure asking price rather than actual price?

I am talking about Wollwich/Haslifax rather than land registry...

Comment

I would park the money in shares, which aren't going down since a month or two, and wait for the pound and house prices to drop. The housing market is much slower than than stock markets.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

It could be the short term financial uncertainty/redundancy feel-bad factor kicking which is leading to an acceleration on perceived property value.

In which case wait for 5 months.
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The best investment anyone can make now is a subscription to the "Estates Gazette".

House Auctions aplenty..... no need for dealing with estate agents or with long winded drawn out selling chains. Fast track your way into a property at a knock down price.

http://www.magazine-stand.co.uk/maga...1857862&cmp=JF

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
              The best investment anyone can make now is a subscription to the "Estates Gazette".

House Auctions aplenty..... no need for dealing with estate agents or with long winded drawn out selling chains. Fast track your way into a property at a knock down price.

http://www.magazine-stand.co.uk/maga...1857862&cmp=JF

Isn't it a bit early in the cycle for that? no-one even knows the banks' liabilities to the credit instruments yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I believe deals like that not reflected in official house price figures? don't they just measure asking price rather than actual price?

I am talking about Wollwich/Haslifax rather than land registry...
                AIUI its the purchase price on completed mortgages, not the asking price

Comment

Rightmove index is on asking price.
                  Land registry is on selling price.
                  Nationwide and Halifax is on mortgage valuations (I think).

Comment

BP = Voice of reason

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Isn't it a bit early in the cycle for that? no-one even knows the banks' liabilities to the credit instruments yet.
                    Thanks for that mate - I'm glad someone has got any sense left here, seems like tWAt left and lots of others are trying to fill the gap. Can't see why someone would drop £ 200k in such a short space of time (as quoted by DP).

Comment

Working...
                    X