• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Types of work in demand in a recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Types of work in demand in a recession

Seeing as everyone here is so doom and gloom, here's a thread to cheer you up. Remember, in a recession, economic activity continues albeit in a more restrained form. Here's a list of areas where I think there will be opportunity. Feel free to add your own:

Regulatory activity (Basle, Sarbanes Oxley, FSA) - a must do
    Drug development (Phase 2/3 Clinical trials) - too expensive/strategic to abandon
    BI work (bit of a catch all - in a recession, managers need to keep close tabs on the business)
    Public sector (the usual gravy train)

Any others?
    Last edited by sasguru; 15 April 2008, 13:57.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Picking up body parts on train lines
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Seeing as everyone here is so doom and gloom, here's a thread to cheer you up. Remember, in a recession, economic activity continues albeit in a more restrained form. Here's a list of areas where I think there will be opportunity. Feel free to add your own:

Regulatory activity (Basle, Sarbanes Oxley, FSA) - a must do
      Drug development (Phase 2/3 Clinical trials) - too expensive/strategic to abandon
      BI work (bit of a catch all - in a recession, managers need to keep close tabs on the business)
      Public sector (the usual gray train)

Any others?

There is no recession in the SAP *tut-tut* groovy train.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Benefits officer ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Any others?
          Hairdressing?

Web dev - people will always need websites like they need their hair cutting.

Similar levels of remuneration too.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
            I think you mean "toot toot"
            I guess you're right - but that would fall under my BI category I think.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
              SAP always pays for itself within 6 months of implementation
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

work at Tesco. people always need to eat.

Comment

Bailiff?

Comment

House valuation (Whatever the hell that's called in real life - valuer?)
                    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                    X