• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance

Ok, I am hearing different things about this, can anyone clarify.
    Been 'offered' a contract that requires this, agent said 3-4 weeks (a week ago) and heard nowt since.
    I presume they would require considerable personal info to get the SC process started ?
    How long does this take to go through ?
    I have another offer and my choice may depend on how long SC is likely to take, all help appreciated.

SC requires you to fill in a form to kick things off, so you just wasted a week.

If you haven't had SC before, and assuming you are clean, it could still take upto 10 weeks. My last renewal took that long.

Some places will let you start after a BC check, which only tekes 48 hours

Comment

Don't wait. If you haven't been given an MOD clearance request form, it ain't going to happen.

If they are going to let you start uncleared, you would have heard quite quickly, otherwise you would have already been sent the paperwork and applied for clearance. And even if you are in process, for a contractor it can take months rather than weeks.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

it normally takes above 6wks to get SC, and that is for permies. contractors are lower down the pecking order.
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Thanks all. Thought I was wise to all the scams, looks like I am being taken for a total nobber. Why can't they just be honest and say it isn't all sorted out yet instead of trying to keep me on the hook. Fortunately I have kept looking and may have an alternative lined up.
          B*stards are p1ssing about with my life, I hate that.
          Right, this makes the choice easier, I will try to land the other one and hope the first cnuts get in touch after I have.

Comment

Mine took forever and involved calling schools about GCSE and A Level results FFS....

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
              Mine took forever and involved calling schools about GCSE and A Level results FFS....
              LOL - what about Grade 3 piano.?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
                LOL - what about Grade 3 piano.?
                I thought that was Threaded...

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                  They only go to that level of detail for a DV clearance normally. SC never asked me what schools I went to, DV interview did.

Comment

I got cleared to work at a Police Headquarters in a couple of days, so I presume it was just a very light check.

This was interesting though ...

Requests for any clearances required are raised during the contractual process. A number of commercial organisations advertise for staff with security clearances. This practice is neither necessary nor desirable, and is strongly discouraged by the MOD.
                    I got it from here

I often see contracts advertised asking for 'security cleared' persons, I suppose if they put someone forward who has been cleared once, then they are likely to be cleared again.?

I think I would have a tough time getting high clearance - mischief I'm afraid

Comment

Working...
                    X