• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with all my money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with all my money?

I have loads of stocks all over the place that I'll be selling imminently. Not because I believe in impending doom, just because I don't think there'll be much upward movement in them for a good few years, by which time I'll want to buy a house.

What's the safest thing to do with it? I am thinking keep 1/2 in GBP savings accounts (no more than £30k per bank because that's the Government bail-out limit!) and 1/2 in a multi-currency money market fund...(umm...except the only one I know is Investec Managed Currency).

Any better ideas?

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I have loads of stocks all over the place that I'll be selling imminently. Not because I believe in impending doom, just because I don't think there'll be much upward movement in them for a good few years, by which time I'll want to buy a house.

What's the safest thing to do with it? I am thinking keep 1/2 in GBP savings accounts (no more than £30k per bank because that's the Government bail-out limit!) and 1/2 in a multi-currency money market fund...(umm...except the only one I know is Investec Managed Currency).

Any better ideas?
    BTL, Can't lose. safe as 'ouses innit

Comment

Any better ideas?
      Sounds like a sound approach to me. Investec are excellent imo.

Comment

Any better ideas?
        Keep your stocks Thunderlizard, preferably an international portfolio. Stocks are placed for a srong recovery, next year. UK stocks don't look so hot. Check out S & P and buy their recommendations. Stocks are the best investment at the moment (not just my opinion), as they are priced in for Armageddon with knobs on.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Any better ideas?
          Krugerrands
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Any better ideas?
            The limit is 35k by the way, and its per "financial institution", no NatWest and RBS = 35k between them etc

Comment

Have you considered CGT?
              You might not want to sell them all off in one go.

Comment

You are selling during a slump ? Not sure that is a sound investment plan. If you have PEP's and ISA's, I would consider keeping them, next year may be rocky but I expect recovery after that, uncertainty is killing the market at the moment and this is often over pessimistic, when the news starts to come out in company results the market will adjust accordingly and I think this will be upwards.
                As discussed, get it spread globally, last years 7k went to South East Asia and BRIC funds to complement UK and Europe funds which form a stable foundation in my portfolio.
                Good luck either way !

Comment

check your portfolio Thunderlizard...

Mine went up 1% today

I think it is going to go beserk if there is anything that isn't Armageddon, the end of the world.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'm also at a loss to what to do with all my spare cash.
                    Do I go for a Mars bar, or a Snickers?

Comment

Working...
                    X