• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All too confusing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All too confusing

Vitamins 'may shorten your life'

Two glasses of wine a day 'puts breast cancer risk up by 50 per cent'

Alcohol 'quickly' cuts heart risk

Toddlers eat TOO MUCH fruit and veg, say experts

I could go on, but I'm not going to. I need a lie down...

Older and ...well, just older!!

The confusion stems from scientists poorly designing their own trials and analysing them. Often there is a unknown confounding factor that may be the underlying cause this is often not allowed for in the design or in the analysis. However, some studies are done correctly expalining why we are often presented with contradictory results. Unfortunately scientific journal articles are not always reviewed by Statisticians, I've seen some shockers.

I could set up a poorly designed trial to 'prove' shopping at Iceland gives you lung cancer, and then one to disprove it.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 16 April 2008, 11:43.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      The confusion stems from scientists pourly designing their own trials and analysing them. Often there is a unknown confounding factor that may be the underlying cause this is often not allowed for in the design or in the analysis. However, some studies are done correctly expalining why we are often presented with contradictory results.

I could set up a poorly designed trial to 'prove' shopping at Iceland gives you lung cancer.
      It's the scientific method. Try everything possible and only the fittest ideas survive. Religion is much the same except not updated as often and they keep the dross in too.

Comment

Thank God we can rely on Government figures...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

whatever you do you are wrong - like being married...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            whatever you do you are wrong - like being married...
            Statistically I think this is right, since there are more ways of being wrong than right. Thought the chances of me being wrong here are of course higher than being right.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Statistically I think this is right, since there are more ways of being wrong than right. Thought the chances of me being wrong here are of course higher than being right.
              "Don't you ever get tired of being right?"

"No, only with the rest of you being wrong."

Can anyone identify the source of this, one of the most fantastic quotes of all time? The first in with an answer can collect +50 Xeno geek points. No Googling now!

Comment

Originally posted by The Master View Post
                "Don't you ever get tired of being right?"

"No, only with the rest of you being wrong."

Can anyone identify the source of this, one of the most fantastic quotes of all time? The first in with an answer can collect +50 Xeno geek points. No Googling now!
                And the answer is?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  And the answer is?
                  Avon to Dayna, in Blake's 7. It's stuck with me all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master View Post
                    Avon to Dayna, in Blake's 7. It's stuck with me all these years.
                    I tried to cheat but a cursory glance at google revealed nothing. I forgot to try SKA

Comment

Working...
                    X