• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Sky is Falling...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sky is Falling...

According to this budding Wernher von Braun....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080415...y_080415214429

Never did believe a word Chicken Licken said....
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      According to this budding Wernher von Braun....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080415...y_080415214429
      Everyone hates a smart arse.

Comment

Both NASA and Marquardt agree that if the asteroid does collide with earth, it will create a ball of iron and iridium 320 metres (1049 feet) wide and weighing 200 billion tonnes, which will crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

The shockwaves from that would create huge tsunami waves, destroying both coastlines and inland areas, whilst creating a thick cloud of dust that would darken the skies indefinitely.
        Should solve the global warming problem. See, there's always a bright side.

Not sure how they can predict the impact zone 28 years in advance though whilst taking into account random factors such as striking a satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master View Post
          Should solve the global warming problem. See, there's always a bright side.

Not sure how they can predict the impact zone 28 years in advance though whilst taking into account random factors such as striking a satellite.
          One figure is as good as any. Two order of magnitude difference, yeah okay, cool.

Comment

Geek Alert

Wasn't Apophis the original big bad from Stargate SG-1?

Conspiracy Alert
            Does this mean that the US airforce have some prior knowledge?

Comment

This is really bad news as I suspect that Bruce Willis will be too old to save us by then - if he isn't already.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

two bodies attract each other with a force proportional to their mass , and inversely proportional to their distance apart.
                What we must do is find a truly massive object, something that is otherwise useless, and fire it into space on a diversionary trajectory. I suggest Gordon Browns bogies, if thats not enough mass, Gordon Brown himself should do it. the fat b@st@rd

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It wont happen, the boy is wrong. The asteroid will pass within the distance of Earth's geosynchronous satellites. However, because Apophis will pass interior to the positions of these satellites at closest approach, in a plane inclined at 40 degrees to the Earth's equator and passing outside the equatorial geosynchronous zone when crossing the equatorial plane, it does not threaten the satellites in that heavily populated region.

HTH
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    It wont happen, the boy is wrong. The asteroid will pass within the distance of Earth's geosynchronous satellites. However, because Apophis will pass interior to the positions of these satellites at closest approach, in a plane inclined at 40 degrees to the Earth's equator and passing outside the equatorial geosynchronous zone when crossing the equatorial plane, it does not threaten the satellites in that heavily populated region.

HTH
                    I thought exactly the same thing when I read the article, but was too embarassed to say.

Comment

Working...
                    X