• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you had the balls?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you had the balls?

Am currently in talks with taking on a project that although im fairly confident I can pull it off (with long nights and small amount of the Chef charm), it's far bigger both technically and responsibility than anything I've taken on before..

I figure it can only be a good thing taking on a challenge, and the rewards would be worth it.

So, my question is, what similar tales/experiences does the panel have? good or bad
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Am currently in talks with taking on a project that although im fairly confident I can pull it off (with long nights and small amount of the Chef charm), it's far bigger both technically and responsibility than anything I've taken on before..

I figure it can only be a good thing taking on a challenge, and the rewards would be worth it.

So, my question is, what similar tales/experiences does the panel have? good or bad
    Without getting into specifics, that's the only way you grow - personally, technically and financially - by taking on challenges that test you.

The jobs that make you doubt yourself, and force you to make supreme efforts, are the ones that really pay off long term.

Better to try and fail than never to try at all.

Go for it Chef.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I wrote a CAD/CAM system to replace a commercial package, solving one NP complete problem after the next (the client didn't understand IT). I did it for peanuts too

Comment

This flies in the face of my do as little as possible for as much as possible approach so for that reason I am out.

Seriously though does it come with the equivalent rate increase, otherwise why take on the extra hassle?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          This flies in the face of my do as little as possible for as much as possible approach so for that reason I am out.

Seriously though does it come with the equivalent rate increase, otherwise why take on the extra hassle?
          Long term reward, both fiscal and mental.

Go for it Chef. How are the salty-chocolate-balls?

Comment

When I know I can do something technically, I always underestimate the time element. Always. Even though I know I am prone to doing it. Then I have to do 16 hour days to get it done.
            What a feeling though when its done, you are da man. Do it chef.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm considering taking on the Israeli Palestinian conflict.

I'm weighing my balls up to see if they're big enough. A few more days of enforced abstinence should do it I think.

AtW.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Go for it Chef, only way to grow is to challenge yourself mentally.

Good luck!
                That boy go raaaaaaa
                Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Up for it

I find it better to opt for a one-off project that hasn't been done before - hence no metrics of performance - than some of the normal run-of-the-mill ones where everything has been done, calculated and documented by others. You can set your own stds, take some risks, finish earlier (or later) and get some kudos. So I'd say yes chef.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    I concur with that!!!

But, go for it. Always remember that you are more than good enough to do the job and that confidence will pay off in spades...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X