• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A few questions as newbie.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions as newbie.....

When a job is advertised with a rate between one rate and another by an agency what do you say when they ask what rate would you be looking for?

There is a job advertised with a rate of £25 to £34 per hour, quite a big jump between the two and obvioulsy I'd like £34 but what do I say when the agency asks what I will be looking at getting or be happy with as I don't want to price myself out or price myself too low when I could get more.

I did think of saying I don't know until I get an interview and can talk to them more about the role and whats expected and see exactly where they are in location and the drive there etc. which is true as you don't know but will they be expecting me to say what rate I want? Also why do they put rates like this as surely everyone will want the £34 an hour if your given a choice!

Also in regards to holiday I have holiday booked towards the end of the year if I have to get a contract at that time, when do I tell them ? I was planning on not saying a word to the agency but mentioning it in the interview to the company that I will not be available for 2 weeks over the contract, is that the right way to play it or should I wait till the offer then say to the company or the agency?

<duck for cover>

Comment

Hold your fire.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Wait for it...
        Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          <duck for cover>
          WHS
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Hold, hold.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Quickly, before the onslaught begins.....

Say your rate is £40/hr. When they say the maximum on offer is £34 say you would consider it if the role was right at the interview etc etc etc. The agent will thing he's getting a bargain

Don't mention the holiday if it's ages away. When you start the gig ask whoever you report to how they make a log or keep a record of planned holidays and then put your dates into it. Job done.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

That was remarkably nice and restrained of you, MrRobin.

Comment

Hold Your Fire Private!!!

Comment

When you tell the pimp you want the top end of the 'rate range' be ready for them to ask you to justify it.
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X