• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Limited or sole trader ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limited or sole trader ?

If you were setting up as an IT contractor right now, how would you go about it, with regard to company type and VAT registration etc.. ?

Wait for it...
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      Wait for it...
      On your marks...
      That boy go raaaaaaa
      Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Sounds like all the permies are bailing to become contractors due to redundancy, whilst all the contractors are looking at permie to weather the storm...

SNAFU

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          SNAFU
          WHS

Comment

Steady boys... steady... wait til you can see the whites of their eyes.

Comment

You could try posting this in the Business section to get more informed responses.

If you're going through an agency, you need to be a Ltd. co (because of the Companies Act). Otherwise your 'employer' (I use the word advisedly) will be liable for your NICs and PAYE. You could be a temporary employee of an agency for this purpose.

If you work directly to the client, then you can be a sole trader, or in a partnership, but beware of being caught by IR35. Your client could still end up being liable for NI/PAYE if you cannot prove to HMRC's satisfaction that you are 'in business on your own account'. See innumerable IR35 articles passim.

Operating costs to a sole trader are generally lower than a ltd, but you don't have the tax-advantageous option of paying yourself dividends in lieu of drawings/salary.

If you're going to make any decent sort of living, you will probably exceed the VAT threshold anyway, so registration would be quite likely. VAT is pretty simple to deal with yourself if you have half a brain - you shouldn't need an accountant to do your VAT returns.

Anyone with more up-to-date/knowledgeable with the situation, please correct me if I'm talking balls.
              Last edited by bogeyman; 17 April 2008, 12:47.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I'd use an autonomous collective, or possibly an anarcho-syndicalist commune.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

acerimmer, how did you come up with your name?

Comment

Clearly I have made a faux-pas by replying to Mr Acerimmer in a sensible and constructive fashion

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X