• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Expenses

I don't know if this has been done yet but this is on Shout99

HMRC is accused of double standards over staff expenses.

By Roland Gribben in today's Telegraph
    HM Revenue & Customs has been accused of "double standards" after the disclosure that its 83,000 staff do not have to submit receipts to cover claims ranging from meals to hotel accommodation and travel and are entitled to expenses without forking out any money.

They can claim £100 for an overnight stay in London and £20 for an evening meal while working out of their office without handing in receipts.

When out of their offices for more than five hours, they are entitled to a £6.50 meal allowance and a two-meal allowance of £14 when away for more than 10 hours.

Night work or sleeping in offices on call or standby after a day's work is worth £7.60 a night while sleeping in the office after working late provides £10.90 a night.

Drivers can claim 5p a mile for each passenger they carry while passengers themselves are entitled to a similar 5p allowance even if they do not pay anything for the privilege.

Staff can also choose to stay with friends or relatives rather than at a hotel when working away and can claim £25.

The full extent of the receipts waiver was disclosed by HMRC to UHY Hacker Young after the accountants used the Freedom of Information Act to discover details of the expenses regime.

The receipts dispensation has parallels with the benefits enjoyed by MPs until the recent clampdown, although the £10 HMRC receipt-free maximum is well below the £200 previously available to MPs.

Clive Gawthorpe, a UHY Hacker Young partner, contrasted the "generous" policy with the way HMRC handled expenses claims from individuals or companies.

He said: "Accountants who frequently face challenges over expenses for as little as £10 will find it ironic that HMRC runs such a liberal 'no questions asked' system for its own employees."

===============================================

So why are we subjected to having to hold reciepts for everything when the IR staff themselves can claim £100 without a reciept.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Maybe they have a dispensation....
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Bastards!

Hey I typed BASTARDS in upper case, don't say we have an emphasis remover now.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I can hardly believe this
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Just the kind of double standards we have all come to expect.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Not HMRC's problem

It's just the same as for the rest of us.

Our Limited Companies can 'let us away' with claiming £100 overnight expenses without receipts, £10 per mile petrol allowance, lunch and entertaining........

BUT these are going to be treated as Taxable Business-in-Kind payments on our personal tax returns.

I'm sure all HMRC employees declare all their BIK ...... they do ......don't they?

....don't they?

RS

Comment

Yeah, but who gives a s**t they probably earn 1/4 the wage we earn and pay more tax.

If the grass is greener, then go work for HMRC.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

need

need

need

stabin
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

They have to sleep in the office after work and get £11 for it!
                  What the heyk?!

I like the idea of having taxmen on call. I suppose there's a big alarm that goes off if e.g. a pizza delivery driver does a couple of hours' overtime somewhere, so that they can crank up his tax code within 15 minutes.

Comment

Some of us are prepared to work all hours to protect this country's revenues and you should all be thankful for it.

I only have to sleep here in my chair three nights per week and I can afford a bottle of Moet. So I get to find out how the other half lives!

Comment

Working...
                    X