• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Bad Interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Bad Interview

Just been totally mauled on a very technical phone interview.
    Its so depressing when this happens.

I do know my stuff but when you get questions that last a couple of minutes its hard to remember what they were asking for.

I wouldn't have minded but the daily rate wasn't anything special.

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
    Then you still shouldn't mind.

If only the market was so buoyant you could just tell them to f-off.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Just been totally mauled on a very technical phone interview.
      Its so depressing when this happens.

I do know my stuff but when you get questions that last a couple of minutes its hard to remember what they were asking for.

I had one last year that went duff. He asked stuff that I don't memorise, just check on the fly. Knowing what and how to check is the important bit.

I tried to make that point to him but he maintained that he would expect someone with the knowledge that I claimed, to remember all this stuff.

So we hung up and I returned to doing for my then current client, exactly the kind of work he wanted someone for.

Later the agency called back: he was unhappy about all the other candidates, so he wanted to interview me again......

Comment

The chap interviewing me was doing it in front of the company director and I got the impression he was 'swinging his dick' a bit to show how valuable he was to the company.

I don't care for the contract but I could do with some money coming in.

Comment

The chap interviewing me was doing it in front of the company director and I got the impression he was 'swinging his dick' a bit to show how valuable he was to the company.
          That happened to me once. I told him I wasn't that kind of guy.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

- get a pen, write stuff down in bullet form as they ask it
            - I always have a laptop in front of me, if they ask pointless "lookup knowledge" type q's I explain that you dont memorise that sort of thing, explain what I remember and then offer to find the info for them quickly if they dont mind holding on the phone..
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I had one last year that went duff. He asked stuff that I don't memorise, just check on the fly. Knowing what and how to check is the important bit.
              I had a kinda similar situation once.. was given a print out of some code and was asked to spot the errors... whilst I got some of them, some I just didn't pick up because a) the code degugger would tell you straight away if you made that mistake whilst typing, so you don't have to or b) I've never made such odd mistakes and typos anyway.

"Why are you testing me on something that is done automatically for you by a computer?" I asked. He gave me some nonsense about how you should know it all without the help from the computer... I bet he coded with pen and paper in bed.
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                I bet he coded with pen and paper in bed.
                ... and I thought my sex life was boring.
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  - get a pen, write stuff down in bullet form as they ask it
                  - I always have a laptop in front of me, if they ask pointless "lookup knowledge" type q's I explain that you dont memorise that sort of thing, explain what I remember and then offer to find the info for them quickly if they dont mind holding on the phone..

I just have the Ask Beaker thread open, or whoever it is that's taken over from him.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I wasn't best prepared for it having got the call whilst shopping in town.
                    There's nothing like 5 minutes notice for an interview.

Comment

Working...
                    X