• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's in a name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in a name

Trying to canvass some opinion on Ltd Co names.

Appreciate that it doesn't really matter what you call your Co, but wondering whether HMRC are likely to pay more attention if you have a "John Smith Consulting Ltd" type name. Not that I'm planning to do anything I shouldn't be doing, of course.

Any thougths anyone.

I hear a lot of this. People say don't use words like Consulting, IT, Engineering etc as the HMRC will see you as within the IR35 catchment area. Personally I think its b*ll*cks but it may have some merit and it if makes you feel better...

Comment

I'm worried now as I'm using "Disguised Employee Limited" as a tax saving vehicle to avoid NI on deemed salary.

Comment

All the ex MSc used dodgy names.

I enquired to one and asked what the name would be and it was something like "Sprig Educational Services". I went MyCo Ltd the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I'm worried now as I'm using "Disguised Employee Limited" as a tax saving vehicle to avoid NI on deemed salary.

There's a company registered as Tax Avoidance Ltd. Surely if they were going to investigate a company, the Rev would look at them. Looks like they are an accounting firm too.

Comment

All is well at If You Investigate Me You're a Big Fat Poof Limited

Comment

If I were starting again I'd use an ambiguous name:

"Salford Trading Company Ltd" or somesuch, just to detach me from the company, not so much for HMRC, but for suppliers etc, myco just sounds like a one man band.

I would think HMRC are more likely to use the SIP Codes you have to use giving the nature of the company's business rather than its name, as the former can be selected automatically where the latter needs manual selection.

Just my £0.02 worth

Comment

I would have thought that HMRC can just check what industry ur Ltd CO operates in and hence have no need to look at the name. I.e. they can probably just list all companies in I.T.

Comment

Indeed. They can just look at the SIC code that you use when you register your company at Companies House. Having access to Experian data right now, I can extract details on any company with 2 or less employees registered as SIC 7222 in my local area and bombard with "IR35 Investigation Imminent" letters to them just for a laugh...
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Frog Morton View Post
                    Trying to canvass some opinion on Ltd Co names.

Appreciate that it doesn't really matter what you call your Co, but wondering whether HMRC are likely to pay more attention if you have a "John Smith Consulting Ltd" type name. Not that I'm planning to do anything I shouldn't be doing, of course.

Any thougths anyone.
                    Yes, do what I've done on several occasions:
                    Spends weeks nay months agonising over a name, then when you're certain it's perfect, register it and incorporate the company. Then about 3 days later realise it's the worst crappiest name for a company ever.

Edit: The moral here is don't worry about it, just go with anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X