• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth getting a degree?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth getting a degree?

I am 32 and spent 5 years coding vb and then for the last four years coding java for a well known blue chip company . I am a "senior developer" but I dont have a formal qualification even though I am fully competant in programming and also other dev stuff like OOA/OOD/UML/ etc. Is it worth me getting a degree? (it would have to be an Open University one since I am a working full time) The theory being to increase my chances of being picked up for contracting.

I am currently a permie, would it improve my career even if I didnt make "the jump" to contracting.

cheers.
    All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Let me guess... you want a piece of paper that should tell you that you are qualified to do what you have been doing for years?

I suggest you should spend your time more wisely like feeding monkeys at the zoo or trying to cross breed different type of mushrooms.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I know its silly, i just want to know if it makes a difference to the people who hire.

also I have had to give up the mushroom breeding since its become illegal
      All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

Difference

Of course having a degree makes a difference - but only when you are 21 - by your 30s only HR departments and people who are looking for a reason not to hire you think degrees are important.

Comment

Stan, it might conceivably make a difference to your career path as a permie if you were to do an M.Sc., and it might certainly prove an interesting challenge for you if nothing else. Doing a (bachelor's level) degree would, I believe, be simply a waste of your time and money and make no difference to your career at all at this stage of it.

Comment

In my opinion women need degrees and MScs to improve their careers, men don't need any .. they got d1cks ...

Comment

I would like to confirm I have the knowledge...but at the cost of three years of evening/weekend work it is a bit much to just do for the heck of it. I looked at the OU degree course and the final module is creating an ecommerce app which made me laugh as it is the kind of thing I do every day
              I didnt think its possible to do a masters without first doing a bachelors or am I wrong?
              I work with a couple of people who have computing B.scs that dont really know much so I dont think it would actually teach me anything I dont already know.

Comment

If you have been doing the job for years no degree is really going to "teach you anything" except maybe the impractical way to do things.

Years of comercial experience in a good company will be worth more on your cv than a degree would any day of the week, but having the degree would do no harm either. And you never know when your cv might be in front of some HR idiot with a spec like

3 years experience of X,Y,Z
                Some degree that should be pointless at the level of experience

You have 15 years experience of X,Y,Z and also A,B,C,D
                No Degree

HR idiot puts your CV in the reject tray

Comment

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder with regard to your degree-educated work colleagues. Lose it. A degree used to be about spending three years getting into a subject, maybe up to research level, living away from home, about learning and how to learn, about genuine interest rather than material pursuits. Nowadays it is just another gong that has little real value, it's a passport that you pay for. You can have one of mine if you like - I've got five ...

Comment

Honestly, Stan, if you really want to pursue a degree, don't do an IT one. Do something new where you have a true interest (even if you have a true interest an IT, find something else). At least, you will learn something new and useful and you have a label to attach on your business card and can make idiots in HR happy should they need one.

You can actually have a Master even without a Bachelor, although pretty rare, I guess. Or at least in US but not sure in UK.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X