• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Warming - Have you had a rethink?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Warming - Have you had a rethink?

Just over a year ago there was a big debate on this forum, some people accepted the theory as fact, some were sceptical, some said that they were not certain, but that something should be done anyway because of the risks involved in doing nothing.

Have you changed you mind in the last year ? why?

I am still sceptical about whether GW is a man made phenomona, I have yet to be convinced that GW is anything to do with human activity.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Just over a year ago there was a big debate on this forum, some people accepted the theory as fact, some were sceptical, some said that they were not certain, but that something should be done anyway because of the risks involved in doing nothing.

Have you changed you mind in the last year ? why?

I am still sceptical about whether GW is a man made phenomona, I have yet to be convinced that GW is anything to do with human activity.

It's probably better to say climate change since that's a more accurate and vaguer description of the likely affects. There seems little doubt that climate change is and will occur as a result of our burning vast amounts of carbon, agriculture and energy usage in general. What's not clear is whether these changes will be for good or bad. We do know that atmospheric changes are occurring fast and that we are breeding like flies and using up resources unsustainably like we were on some kind of credit binge that can go on forever though.

Comment

the main premise, is that increase CO2 (and other greenhouse gases) cause a rise in the average global temperature and this rise in temperature gives rise to extreme weather patterns (cold snaps, heatwaves, floods and wind) as there is more energy in a closed system.

Sadly, the average global temperature hasn't risen in ten years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../09/do0907.xml

IMHO, the link between CO2 (and the car gets the most bad press) and weather extremes is bollox.

Comment

Don't know if this was posted here, but I was reading this in the pub a couple of weeks ago, and the man talks an awful lot of sense.

Nigel Lawson in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I am still of the opinion that GW is a natural phenomenon. Mans contribution is minimal.
          The only reason for it being the worlds number one political football is to see just how much it can be taxed.

The supporting science is still a collection of smoke and mirrors based on the findings of researchers who were looking for pointers towards GW who said that their evidence could be a pointer. The international group then took all those findings together and said that together they make a strong argument. Rubbish.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Don't know if this was posted here, but I was reading this in the pub a couple of weeks ago, and the man talks an awful lot of sense.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
            Out! Out! Daily Mail reader!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Is he really Nigella's father? That's like me calling my daughter Robina. How absurd
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                Is he really Nigella's father? That's like me calling my daughter Robina. How absurd
                Yeah, her mum must be an absolute stunner.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I think Nigella is great. A proper woman.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    the car gets the most bad press
                    Deservedly so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...esponsibility3

Although as DP says the premise, is that increased CO2 cause a rise in the average global temperature and this rise in temperature gives rise to extreme weather patterns (cold snaps, heatwaves, floods and wind) as there is more energy in a closed system.

The link between the two is somewhat foggy.

Comment

Working...
                    X