• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem with present umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with present umbrella company

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have been told by my present umbrella company that if I give them their 28 days required notice they will not allow any on site expenses for the notice period. This is despite that fact that I will still be working on the same contract as for the previous 2 months, earning the same amount and paying out the same amounts for fuel, accommodation etc..

I want to change my umbrella company before starting my next contract as I am not happy with the present one, but it seems that they are making it almost impossible for me to do so. Seems almost like blackmail!

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution to the problem?

can't you just change when you contract is renewed instead?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by flintylurcher View Post
      Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I have been told by my present umbrella company that if I give them their 28 days required notice they will not allow any on site expenses for the notice period. This is despite that fact that I will still be working on the same contract as for the previous 2 months, earning the same amount and paying out the same amounts for fuel, accommodation etc..

I want to change my umbrella company before starting my next contract as I am not happy with the present one, but it seems that they are making it almost impossible for me to do so. Seems almost like blackmail!

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a solution to the problem?

My next contract starts immediately after this one finishes. Because the umbrella company technically employs me wherever I am contracting, or indeed even if I don't have a contract; then the 28 days notice period is going to coincide with weeks that I am working and running up expenses. I am inclined to just give them notice at the end of this contract, and use another company for the new contract, but don't know if there would be any comeback if I do this.

Comment

What he said

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        can't you just change when you contract is renewed instead?
        This approach worked for me. Make sure they pay up before you click to leave/request P45

>I want to change my umbrella company
        Why not go limited? No more lock in clauses :O)

Comment

you can still reclaim the expenses, you just need to fill in the relevant tax form at the end of the year (I forget which on it is off the top of my head but I'm sure somebody knows it)

Comment

I know a lot of us on here hijack threads about umbrella's and tell you to go ltd. Sorry to do so again, but this is a perfect example of why brollies should be avoided.

Comment

Working...
            X