• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ken - the special needs kid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken - the special needs kid

From The Times:

He looks oddly mal-coordinated. He has pigeon toes and big feet and walks with a cartoonish dopiness. His arms don’t synchronise and he’s got that eternally cheap cotton suit and shapeless flasher’s mac with the final style addition of a girl’s rucksack.

Altogether with his little head bent forward he looks like an oversized special needs kid.

The reaction to Ken in the street is muted. After-office drinkers look up without interest, occasionally someone yells. It’s difficult to tell if they’re being encouraging or ironic. There are plenty of shouts of “******”.

Ken waves and every so often a drunk lad will come up and ask him to fix their lives, the buses or the weather. He promises to do what he can. Facts and figures tumble out of him with alacrity – if not conviction. He’s like an automated phone system. Press one for bendy buses and Boris; press two for immigration and the Olympics; press three for gay and lesbian issues; stay on the line for a smooth operator.

Except he isn’t that smooth any more. There’s something about Ken’s whole demeanour that looks beaten. He’s losing from the inside out. He was always a grey man, the Stalinist version of John Major with a whiny south London accent. But now there’s a weariness, an absence of enthusiasm.

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    From The Times:

He looks oddly mal-coordinated. He has pigeon toes and big feet and walks with a cartoonish dopiness. His arms don’t synchronise and he’s got that eternally cheap cotton suit and shapeless flasher’s mac with the final style addition of a girl’s rucksack.

Altogether with his little head bent forward he looks like an oversized special needs kid.

Is there a link? Ken who?

Comment

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3778963.ece

Comment

I think it's poor journalism to compare somone you don't like to the mentally disabled. No better than the rule of playground and tells me the author was a bully.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          I think it's poor journalism to compare somone you don't like to the mentally disabled. No better than the rule of playground and tells me the author was a bully.
          I think you are being a little overly PC here bagpuss, it is Ken, the stealing, lying cheating lefty.

The sooner he is gone the better.

Comment

I think you are being a little overly PC here bagpuss, it is Ken, the stealing, lying cheating lefty.

The sooner he is gone the better.

The article compares someone the author doesn't like to a disabled person. That implies being disabled is also something to be frowned upon. The author is a twat who thinks laughing at disabled people is amusing
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              The article compares someone the author doesn't like to a disabled person. That implies being disabled is also something to be frowned upon. The author is a twat who thinks laughing at disabled people is amusing
              Being disabled is not preferred, surely you agree with that. I think the point Gill is trying to make is that Ken behaves like he is ill-informed, tired and far from dynamic, when he does have a choice about that.

And I do have a 'mental disorder/disability' and people make fun of that kind of stuff all the time. It's just what happens and no amount of tutting from Tunbridge Wells will ever change that.

Comment

Being disabled is not preferred, surely you agree with that. I think the point Gill is trying to make is that Ken behaves like he is ill-informed, tired and far from dynamic, when he does have a choice about that.

And I do have a 'mental disorder/disability' and people make fun of that kind of stuff all the time. It's just what happens and no amount of tutting from Tunbridge Wells will ever change that.
                First person "look at that drunk person over there"
                Second person "Oh he's disabled"
                (Crowd laughter)

Lucy, you're missing the point. By joining in with your laughter smilie, you intrinsically find it funny too. Well if the cap fits......

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
                  First person "look at that drunk person over there"
                  Second person "Oh he's disabled"
                  (Crowd laughter)

Lucy, you're missing the point. By joining in with your laughter smilie, you intrinsically find it funny too. Well if the cap fits......
                  No, actually you miss the point (Mr somone's alternative id), the point I understand Gill to be making is that Ken is laughable because he behaves in a way that is undesireable, but he is too gormless to realise and change it. He isn't and I certainly am not saying being disabled is laughable, but someone who is too ridiculous to realise he behaves that way is. They are two separate ideas.

Whoever you are.

(Oh and the personal insults directed at me are just as offensive as what you are accusing me of btw)

Comment

Anyone who votes for Ken is stupid.

Vote for Matt! I did.

Comment

Working...
                    X