• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cold Calling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Calling

I've got around 6 years of Entertainment industry experience and I've just finished as permie with one of the large Film Studios to go back to contracting. Now there may be a opportunity to go back there as a contractor but I've been wondering about cold calling other players in the same industry.

What success have others had, and how do you pitch yourself??

Cheers
    Badger!

Originally posted by Badger View Post
    I've got around 6 years of Entertainment industry experience and I've just finished as permie with one of the large Film Studios to go back to contracting. Now there may be a opportunity to go back there as a contractor but I've been wondering about cold calling other players in the same industry.

What success have others had, and how do you pitch yourself??

Cheers
    Badger!
    The way it seems to work is this, dial in, play 95 seconds of Beethovens 5th, or wait till they say 'hello' for the tenth time, whichever comes sooner, turn the music off then say, 'good morning, I am not selling anything today'

Hooks me every time

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I've never 'cold-called' and if you have a relationship with someone I wouldn't call it that anyway. It is more just a case of getting back in touch with a contact.

I keep in touch reasonably well and have landed a couple of contracts that way. The vast majority I get via the job boards however.

Quick point: watch out for IR35 if you are looking at the possibility of returning to do the same thing you used to do as a permie, as a contractor.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I'm more interested in why you put an exclamation mark after your name?

Badger!
        Like, look at me!

(We know you're not really a badger.....or are you? Is this a big double bluff?)

Sal!
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

Badger!
          Like, look at me!
          Or, like, look at my Badger!

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
            Or, like, look at my Badger!
            Pervert!
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

I'm more interested in why you put an exclamation mark after your name?

Badger!
              Like, look at me!

(We know you're not really a badger.....or are you? Is this a big double bluff?)

Sal!
              I think its a badger honour

igmc

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Pervert!
                Guilty as charged.

I see you're giving the Comic Sans MS font some love, Sal. It makes all of your posts so cheery. Even the 'Pervert' one I took as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I think its a badger honour

igmc

That was quite a good geordie accent
                  The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                    Guilty as charged.

I see you're giving the Comic Sans MS font some love, Sal. It makes all of your posts so cheery. Even the 'Pervert' one I took as a compliment.

I never mean "Pervert!" as an insult!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X