PDA

View Full Version : Best broadband deal at the mo?

Hiram King Of Tyre
21st April 2008, 14:30
I currently have free Orange land BB with my mobile phone package. The mobile phone comittment period is up in June though so I need to shop around. It looks like I have 3 options:

1. Renew with Orange and benefit from free BB
2. Look for stand alone BB and a separate mobile phone contract (or convert my son to PAYG)
3. Get a new combined mobile + fixed BB package.

Where are the best deals?

DiscoStu
21st April 2008, 14:32
I currently have free Orange land BB with my mobile phone package. The mobile phone comittment period is up in June though so I need to shop around. It looks like I have 3 options:

2. Look for stand alone BB and a separate mobile phone contract (or convert my son to PAYG)

Have you got Sky TV? Their broadband's dead cheap if you have.

snaw
21st April 2008, 14:38
Check thsi site for good deals:

http://www.broadband-expert.co.uk/

b0redom
21st April 2008, 15:11
If you can get it:

www.bethere.co.uk

is very fast, and very cheap - their techies seem to know what's what too.

snaw
21st April 2008, 16:39
Most important thing to realise with things like bethere - if you're going for the high speeds, is that you're limited by the distance you are from your exchange. Far enough away and there's no point paying for a premium type service you literally won't be able to use.

Shouldn't this be in technical anyway?

DimPrawn
21st April 2008, 16:40
It's not just speed. Some have monthly allowances (cap) on usage. It's like having a Ferrari but only being allowed to drive 2 miles every month. Pointless.

Hiram King Of Tyre
21st April 2008, 17:27
Thanks guys. I do havr sky but when I last looked couldn't get the best service. I do live on a long telephone line with many overhead spans but don't need anything wizzy

OwlHoot
21st April 2008, 19:40
It's not just speed. Some have monthly allowances (cap) on usage. It's like having a Ferrari but only being allowed to drive 2 miles every month. Pointless.

"Demon Thus" have a rolling system where you are eligible to be throttled down when reach 60 Gbyte in a rolling 30 day period, but after a day or two (or until the usage over the previous 30 days falls below a threshold) they restore the full bandwidth.

Seems fair, assuming (?) there's an overall limit on the broadband allocated to Demon themselves. But it does mean that an AtW-style constant downloader will be constantly bouncing along the ceiling, so to speak, and being throttled down every few days.

IR35 Avoider
21st April 2008, 21:07
Thanks guys. I do havr sky but when I last looked couldn't get the best service. I do live on a long telephone line with many overhead spans but don't need anything wizzy

Surely the service you can get is dependent on your line, not the provider, so it doesn't matter who you go with, so you may as well go with the cheapest, which is probably Sky?

Hiram King Of Tyre
22nd April 2008, 14:31
I'll check again but last time, it told me that they couldn't give me their cheapo service and that I would have to subscribe to a dearer one

DiscoStu
22nd April 2008, 14:38
I'll check again but last time, it told me that they couldn't give me their cheapo service and that I would have to subscribe to a dearer one

Sky have 3 broadband tiers. If you're a Sky customer the cheapest one is free, the middle one costs £5 a month and the most expensive one is a tenner. And you get UK based support :D

gingerjedi
22nd April 2008, 14:46
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

Funny how the top 10 BB providers sorted by customer satisfaction bares no resemblance to the top 10 sorted by subscriber size.:confused:

It seems the majority of people rate price over quality of service.

AZZIK
22nd April 2008, 22:38

O2 Broadband - u can't beat it. Even better if you have an O2 contract.

Likely
23rd April 2008, 08:31

As if having a Ferrari is not already pointless with average speed limit of 30.