• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are your ears burning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are your ears burning?

The Telegraph are talking about you:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...-mostviewedbox

Around 15 million people - a quarter of the population - are in denial of their true working class status, a study by money*supermarket.com, the financial website, concluded.

It found that one in 10 households purporting to be middle class had an annual income of less than £15,000.

Around 4.5 per cent were using unsecured loans to pay for private school fees, second homes or even household staff, and were in an average of £13,000 in debt.

Loans totalling £35 billion have been taken out to help people maintain a middle-class illusion, but in reality, the lifestyles and spending patterns of the aspiring middle class differed little from the working class.

You are not middle class like sasguru, you are working class and living on credit.

HTH

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    <snip> purporting to be middle class had an annual income of less than £15,000. </snip>
    Damn, my children appear to be working class.

I must increase their pocket money immediately

Comment

That article is in contradiction of a recent episode of 'The Wright Stuff' in that case, upon which most of the panel, and the callers, proclaimed to be working class, even though the majority of them earnt £50,000+ and lived in palatial houses in areas such as Chelsea.

Comment

Yes, there seems to be two types of person obsessed with class.

Those who earn a pittance and live in debt who believe themselves to be middle class, and those earning a fortune, with lots of assets and no debts who believe themselves still to be working class.

Strange world.

I'm upper class, so who cares.

Comment

Prawny, I've always thought of sas as being 'classless' as in a vagabond entertainer type:

to illustrate...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
            Prawny, I've always thought of sas as being 'classless' as in a vagabond entertainer type:

to illustrate...

'clueless'

Comment

I've never paid much attention in classes.

Hence I'm a dumb-wit who can't even spell GSCE.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

to illustrate...

That's twice you've inflicted that image on us today. I suspect you're secretly trying to tell us something, such as that is really you!
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Actually, as my old Sociology teacher used to explain, it's a bit more complicated that Upper, Middle and Lower Class.

There are strata within each Class as well.

So :

Lower Working Class
                  Middle Working Class
                  Upper Working Class

Lower Middle Class
                  Middle Middle Class
                  Upper Middle Class

Lower Upper Class
                  Middle Upper Class
                  Upper Upper Class

HTH
                  Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    Actually, as my old Sociology teacher used to explain, it's a bit more complicated that Upper, Middle and Lower Class.

There are strata within each Class as well.

So :

Lower Working Class
                    Middle Working Class
                    Upper Working Class

Lower Middle Class
                    Middle Middle Class
                    Upper Middle Class

Lower Upper Class
                    Middle Upper Class
                    Upper Upper Class

HTH
                    How do you apply these?

I suspect I am Upper Upper Class as I live in Swindon and have a title (Mr).

Comment

Working...
                    X