• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got my permie contract in the post....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my permie contract in the post....

True to their word, it is, indeed for the £45K that was discussed.

Man, there is some rubbish on it - talks about the 6 month probation, yadda yadda..... Need to either sign it by Monday, or, find a good long term well paying gig pronto!

Feel like I selling my soul to the devil.....

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Man, there is some rubbish on it - talks about the 6 month probation, yadda yadda..... Need to either sign it by Monday, or, find a good long term well paying gig pronto!

You got your mortgage sorted ? When I was permy and on a 6 month probation period non of the mortgage companies would lend me to me

Comment

Post of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        You got your mortgage sorted ? When I was permy and on a 6 month probation period non of the mortgage companies would lend me to me
        Not got a buyer yet, so not too bothered about that small detail as yet!

As my equity is around 65% and WELL within my income multiples, should be fine for the mortage - well, what is should, and the reality is oftenm very different. Mind you, I have been there for 6 months, and I guess I could push for the contract to be amended if that is the clincher....

Comment

No problem

Probation is a really silly thing to put in a contract for a contractor going perm.

No doubt it is one or two weeks notice. As a result you are now free to get a contract while they pay you for your permie work (sub-contract standard).

When you quit on them with that short notice, they will have learned the error of their ways the hard way. No doubt they will have to hire a contractor to replace you :P

But you won't mind as you will have a nice new gig.

Comment

Yes but equally the purpose of a probation period is to ensure they have the right to get rid of you should you turn out to be a total twat. This actually happened to someone I know (and he was a twat so he deserved it).

For 90% of people the probation period shouldn't be a worry or something to even blink at.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

You are.

I went for a permie interview earlier for a laugh. Decent money, but the bonus is questionable. I bet I'd see 25% of that figure even if I slogged myself to death.

Shocking company. No job spec, no defined boundries of what I'm working on (or where), it just sounded like hell. It could well be another permies dream job, who knows.

After that stark reminder, all I can say is no way am I going back to that ****. I'll stay on the bench for as long as it takes. I'm not going back to permie land.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

£45K sounds OK, but It'll work out at about £10 per hour taking into account all the unpaid overtime they'll probably expect.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Dont do it!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    Yes but equally the purpose of a probation period is to ensure they have the right to get rid of you should you turn out to be a total twat. This actually happened to someone I know (and he was a twat so he deserved it).

For 90% of people the probation period shouldn't be a worry or something to even blink at.
                    I failed a probationary period once.

I had a compramise agreement drawn up with a company I worked for. Aka they paid me some serious £££ to leave.

Went to another company and was out on my arse within 2 months. Then went contracting - ker-ching.

Comment

Working...
                    X