• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting helps you to really know yourself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting helps you to really know yourself

If this has been mentioned before, I have certainly missed it. When I was contemplating a career as a contractor I didn't fully appreciate how much time I would be spending in my own company. Obviously there are those periods when some of us are on the bench for extended periods, and then there are those situations when you are on a job but pretty much secluded from others, or excluded by way of being a stranger. I found these periods with a lack of human interaction unsetlling initially, but over time I have been able to exist for weeks contentedly without so much as a conversation, which I think is an extremely positive thing.

Of course, these periods are interspersed with seeing my friends on occasion and so on, but I think it's a positive sign of sanity when you can be content in your own company for extended periods without needing validation from, or interaction with, others.

In fact, I have found myself becoming quite philosophical about life since contracting, taking away the routine structure of regular employment really makes you question the true meaning of life and the universe, and the fact that most people's existences are made up of the 9-5 grind, and they are so caught up in this that they don't question this with any real vigour.

I believe this heightened philisophical artifice is largely due to the isolation you experience being internalised within your own thought processes, which brings about a sense of clarity and perspicacity, much like the Benedictine Monks who undertake a vow of silence:

Silence for the monk is not a rejection of the neighbour but rather a recollected attentiveness to what lies at the heart of reality once all the ephemeral clutter of daily life is cleared away.

Just thought I would share my musings, as I'm in quite a philosophical mood, and thought this would be a bit of a departure from the topics we usually discuss here.

Time for bed I think.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Do you want to be plugged back in to the matrix?

Comment

His years in splendid isolation have really got to him. Maybe we can use this post as another reason to stay permie. Going contracting = going a bit strange

Comment

CFK - I agree.

Not just talking about the kind of reflective time you have when on the bench. I found that working from home, particularly in the studio, or when doing creative work - with no distractions, no routine of commute-lunch-banter-phones-email-commute - really sharpened the mind, allowed for clarity of thought, helped me get to know myself. And interestingly (for me anyway) led to me developing a unique style to my work, and a unique system.

I miss those days, and will be returning to them as soon as is practicable.

Comment

True, contracting is not something anyone can do, and you'll either get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

On occasion after a heavy session at the gym I'll have a few pints of Stella in the bar and watch the world (and any pretty girls) go by. It's interesting to see how much is usually being missed. We are stuck in our little boxes with an illusion of consciousness, with some awareness of ourselves and surroundings, but consciousness is very much not a binary thing. All the little hang-ups people have and the silly deterministic things we do. We are but a bunch of complex and badly written computer programs. Thanks for listening androids.
              Last edited by TimberWolf; 22 April 2008, 07:13. Reason: edited philosophical bullcarp

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                True, contracting is not something anyone can do, and you'll either get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.
                Are psychotic episodes any bar to being a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Are psychotic episodes any bar to being a contractor?
                  Not at all, absolutely helps if you do .net
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I find opposite, being a fairly unsociable git I am often just content with family when at home. When away, faced with altrenative of sitting alone in hotel room or grotty flat night after night I make much more effort to get out and meet a few people.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X