• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very short contract offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very short contract offer

Hi,

This is my first post here, although I've been using this site for a while and it's an excellent resource.

I'm new to the contract and looking for my first contract in 1st/2nd line support or server admin, and possibly Citrix. I'm heavily in to looking for a contract at the moment.

I have been offered a very short (10 day) contract towards the end of May that I would like to take, and am wondering how committing to this would effect me taking any contracts I may be offered before then. It's not a contract I could cancel once accepted - would agencies honour this? IMO it would be just like honouring a holiday.

Thoughts?

Thanks

N

Originally posted by 200 View Post
    although I've been using this site for a while and it's an excellent resource.
    I'll have a pint of what S/He's had please!

Comment

Stella, actually. But it's early yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        I'll have a pint of what S/He's had please!
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by 200 View Post
          Hi,

This is my first post here, although I've been using this site for a while and it's an excellent resource.

I'm new to the contract and looking for my first contract in 1st/2nd line support or server admin, and possibly Citrix. I'm heavily in to looking for a contract at the moment.

I have been offered a very short (10 day) contract towards the end of May that I would like to take, and am wondering how committing to this would effect me taking any contracts I may be offered before then. It's not a contract I could cancel once accepted - would agencies honour this? IMO it would be just like honouring a holiday.

Thoughts?

Thanks

N
          If you get offered another contract, tell them that you will not be available for 10 days in may.
          Some clients will accept it, some wont....

Comment

Could always say you've got a 10 day holiday already booked.

In the current climate, take any contract you can get, as long as you're happy with the terms.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Just accept it now, but for all intents and purposes stay available (just don't tell that agent) and if something better comes up, you can become 'unavailable' for various reasons, or just tell the truth and say you have a better offer and won't be turning up, or maybe you can fit the 2 weeks in, who knows.

In this game you need to look after your own interests first. Because the agent and client aren't interested in your welfare - only theirs. Also there is a good chance that the project will be canned anyway as it's many weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                Also there is a good chance that the project will be canned anyway as it's many weeks away.
                Very wise words - if I had a pound for every false start!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  Very wise words - if I had a pound for every false start!
                  Are you sure this is the right forum to be discussing your sex life?
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                    Just accept it now, but for all intents and purposes stay available (just don't tell that agent) and if something better comes up, you can become 'unavailable' for various reasons, or just tell the truth and say you have a better offer and won't be turning up, or maybe you can fit the 2 weeks in, who knows.

In this game you need to look after your own interests first. Because the agent and client aren't interested in your welfare - only theirs. Also there is a good chance that the project will be canned anyway as it's many weeks away.
                    I concur, just say you'll take the role but do not sign any contracts, if you are not available in May spin the agent a yarn, or use Fabian tactics and become non-contactable. If you are available at that time take the role. As long as you don't operate under the delusion that you owe the agent any loyalty you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X