• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High interest children's savings account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High interest children's savings account

Any recommendations?

Seems all the usual high interest savings accounts are for over 16's only.

Are there any online savings accounts for children?

Needs to cope with up to £35K

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Any recommendations?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...es/DG_10014128

I am Hector in disguise and I claim my £5.

Comment

Best I found that was appropriate for my kids was Birmingham Midshires by post. There's sod all out there really. Of course I haven't reviewed it for about a year so it is probably now the worst possible account.

If you haven't used all your and Mrs DPs ISA allowance - and you/she are the source of the money then you're probably better stuffing it in an ISA (or any non child high interest account) since you get taxed on it anyway.

Comment

A lot of the childrens accounts are limited to £10k like Saffron Walden BS at 5.5%. You will probably have to spread the money to get the best rate on the ful value.

If you dont want access until they are 18 you could get 7% with Chorley.
        They also do 5.75% upto £15k.

All in all pretty miserable compared to the Icelandic offers.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...es/DG_10014128

I am Hector in disguise and I claim my £5.
          Yes I know about the limits and tax and will be good.

Comment

Could always try F&C?

http://www.fandc.com/new/IT/Default.aspx?id=78401
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Any recommendations?

When I selected one a year ago, Yorkshire Building Society were the top of the pile.

Need to review that decision though in light of a bad experience last week. I went into a branch with my son to deposit his pocket money. He was very excited about the trip but the staff were excessively rude and refused to take the money as it was all coins, even though I had bagged them up. I was the only customer in the branch and both counter ladies were very sneering and unpleasant. My son left in tears saying "rude lady wouldn't take money".

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes View Post
                When I selected one a year ago, Yorkshire Building Society were the top of the pile.

Need to review that decision though in light of a bad experience last week. I went into a branch with my son to deposit his pocket money. He was very excited about the trip but the staff were excessively rude and refused to take the money as it was all coins, even though I had bagged them up. I was the only customer in the branch and both counter ladies were very sneering and unpleasant. My son left in tears saying "rude lady wouldn't take money".

I hope you have written a letter of complaint and disgust to the board and copy it to the papers (national and local). Your son should find himself with a few extra £ in his acc.
                whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford View Post
                  I hope you have written a letter of complaint and disgust to the board and copy it to the papers (national and local). Your son should find himself with a few extra £ in his acc.
                  I have indeed.

Croydon branch, you know who you are. Serves me right for going to a Croydon branch of anything I guess.

Comment

nationwide 5.52%
                    Yorkshire BS 5.65%
                    one or t'other

Comment

Working...
                    X