• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie...be gentle!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie...be gentle!

Hiya,

I've been lurking on the boards for a couple of days. I thought it might be prudent to come on here and see what potential pitfalls there are, get some insider info etc, from people who have been contracting a while.
    I've been permie for 5 years and am considering contracting. Although after dealing with some agency half-wits this week I beginning to wonder what I'm getting myself into!
    Only after chatting to a few contractor mates and looking on here, have I discovered the 'fake job' blag, the fishing phonecalls, and the 'i've sent your CV to the client' - yeah 'course you have mate. Unfortunately this is all after I got suspicious of a couple of agencies and went trawling for info.
    So, in your experience, what agencies are OK (as far as agencies can be) and who should I avoid like the plague?
    Oh and since my CV has been searchable I got a phonecall from 'Sunday', I can only assume they got my number off my CV on one of the job boards. I've read some disturbing stuff about them on here too.
    Oh joy!

Working...
X