• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuart Goldsmith.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuart Goldsmith.....

of Inner Circle & Escape the Matrix fame….

Any views about his work…..?

T

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    of Inner Circle & Escape the Matrix fame….

Any views about his work…..?

T
    Never really heard of him, but after reading the following quote of his he seems to speak sense:

"After a lifetime of always choosing the easy option, the lazy way out, the least amount of work, the mediocre will have the temerity to call you 'lucky.' They will then demand 'their' share of your wealth - the wealth you built by numerous small daily disciplines, each one requiring you to forgo immediate gratification of your desires."

"Whilst vilifying and despising the rich and successful, they will be frantically completing a lottery ticket in an attempt to join them."

"People are NOT equal. They never have been, and they never will be. Any attempts to make them equal are doomed to failure. Some people are superior to others - they always have been. Most people are like sheep - they always will be. This is just a plain, simple fact of life."

People have often remarked to me how 'lucky' it is I am in my field or happen to hold my specific expertise or experience when those in possession of it can make such good money, they fail to realise that I have put myself in that position specifically because of that reason. I have also learnt that preaching to those who don't like to take risks, and are caught up in a 9-5 mediocre lifestyle is futile, most people ARE like sheep and hate being taken out of their comfort zone by taking risks, they'd rather discuss their big ideas with work colleagues in the pub and then go home in a drunken stupor and forget about them the next day, and then despise the ‘lucky’ people who have taken risks and won. Of course, most in this forum have overcome this hurdle by daring to contract and thereby improve their income, while the majority still labour under the cloak of illusion I like to call ‘job security’.

Comment

Some of us are lucky to have a contract.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Some of us are lucky to have a contract.
        Really? What type of luck would you say that is?

Luck refers to that which happens beyond a person's control. This view incorporates phenomena that are chance happenings, a person's place of birth for example, but where there is no uncertainty involved, or where the uncertainty is irrelevant. Within this framework one can differentiate between three different types of luck:

1. Constitutional luck, that is, luck with factors that cannot be changed. Place of birth and genetic constitution are typical examples.
        2. Circumstantial luck, that is, luck with factors that are haphazardly brought on. Accidents and epidemics are typical examples.
        3. Ignorance luck, that is, luck with factors one does not know about. Examples can be identified only in hindsight.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
          Really? What type of luck would you say that is?

Luck refers to that which happens beyond a person's control.

Exactly. Even if you see a contract advertised you've still got the agent to deal with. From them not putting you forward (asking too much), saying they've put you forward but not doing (so you don't attempt to go via another agent), and generally lying about everything, it's down to luck that you ever land a contract. That's before you even get to the interview.

After all that, I missed the sarcastic/roll-eyes smiley off my original reply. Maybe I should start including it at the bottom like EternalOptimist does!
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

You still have some form of control.....

Numbers of replies to jobserve ads...

Contact with previous clients....

Networking friends.....

LinkedIn etc.....

Cold calling.......

Luck would be waiting by the phone and it ringing without doing all the above....

T

Comment

Luck would be waiting by the phone and it ringing without doing all the above....

I'm feeling lucky, punk. Someone please make my day.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

There's one born every minute...and it might be you...

This is the same man who predicted banking apocalypse on millenium eve, and in 1999 said;

'I leave the UK on December 11. I will be on board a large boat parked in the middle of the Atlantic and I'm not landing on shore until January 4. How's that for serious? Also, I have sold all my shares and converted the money to gold. I have withdrawn significant amounts in cash and have all the usual food, water and survival stuff ready.'

Comment

Make your own luck - make your own day.....

T

Comment

Make your own luck - make your own day.....

T

I suppose I have to make my own tea as well. Not liking this deal very much.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X