• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its good to see Agencies humiliated once in a while!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its good to see Agencies humiliated once in a while!

My desk is opposite the chief resource/contract decider for my client and today I was witness to quite an amusing conversation where he proceeded to grill Pathway Resourcing, concluding that he would never entertain work from them again.

He is currently responsible for the hiring of 30-40 contractors, so it aint going to send them under, but will certainly knock them down a peg!

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
    My desk is opposite the chief resource/contract decider for my client and today I was witness to quite an amusing conversation where he proceeded to grill Pathway Resourcing, concluding that he would never entertain work from them again.

He is currently responsible for the hiring of 30-40 contractors, so it aint going to send them under, but will certainly knock them down a peg!
    Pathway are the WORST. They use a firm called Tactical to take a cut and mis-manage payroll, who are sister company and anything but tactical.

They deserve to be closed down IMVHO. (V = Very)

Comment

Do you know what they did to upset him?

From the contractor's pov they are a PITA to deal with, but I assumed that they acted better with clients

tim

Comment

Premature celebration

Would this 're-hiring' involve the original poster?
        wrt to anyone that has worked for them , they are the worst of the worst, only interested in the bottom line, hence not hard to find the dregs of contracting. I have often refused contractors from them without hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post

I did that once - can't remember the agency - call in agency A. They'd nobbled my boss, and sent him a CV which he forwarded it to me. I'd already received it before from another agency (B) that I was quite happy using. However, the actually sending times was the other way round. No matter - I deal with them in the order I receive them.

So I did my usual pre-face to face telephone interview, and the candidate told me that A had threatened him with legal action if he went to interview. I called agency B and let them know what had happened, and to reassure the candidate. ( This was for a permie position, so it's not unusual for them to be scared of the big wide world ).

I then called agency A, and had a lovely time, with speaker phone on so the whole open plan office could hear, telling this agent that we'd never use them again, and how underhand, immoral and unethical they had behaved.

On another occasion I got a call, while hiring, from an agency that had previously tried (unsuccessfully) to sue my client in a previous contract. It was kind of fun explaining why my current company would never be dealing with them. What goes around comes around. One day, the contracter they've upset and threatened may be in a position of power over them. cue maniacal laughter...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So why do you hirers and firers still bother with agencies at all?

Are you too lazy to post your own advert on jobserve? You still have to trawl through the CVs the agencies forward onto you.

I see very little benefit in dealing with agencies all round, they are more an hindrance than anything. From a contractor point of view it's only their ability to pay my invoices quicker than the client would that is beneficial.

Why don't more companies actively seek contractors direct?
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Because some agencies (or specific agents) actually provide a good service, and do decent pre-screening of candidates. Square One and Nick Galley (whoever he's working for now) spring to mind. S3 spring immediately OUT of mind.

The particular role I was recruiting for above was permie. For contractors, I used my own contacts to get some good guys for direct work. But even then, I had to use an agency to fill on gap.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Because

Most large clients have PSL agreements which you have to follow for hiring and other matters

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                  Would this 're-hiring' involve the original poster?
                  Not sure what you mean. I was completely independent from it all; just listening in.

Comment

I've had a mostly positive experience of Pathway.
                    After my first contact with them I thought they were a bunch of chancers, as the guy I spoke to was EXTREMELY pushy and annoying. But after I got the gig I never heard from him again. I got an extension, which was handled smoothly, and I've never had payment problems with them. In fact, now I think of it, aside from the contract extension, I've never had to speak to them, which is probably for the best.
                    I'd question whether their "service" is worth the money they get, but that's the world we're operating in.
                    As a reasonably new contractor, I have little frame of reference, but I've been satisfied with Pathway so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X