• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scams and Corruption

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scams and Corruption

I was always brought up to believe in honesty, integrity and fair play. We seem to be good at pointing to nepotism, corruption and baksheesh(sp) in other Countries - but thinking back over my working life and experiences, I wonder just how widespread corruption is in this sceptered isle?

As a dustbin man I worked on two lorries (gangs) where they had scams in operation.
    When I worked in a Petrol Station in the days when we still wrote out receipts about a third of customers asked for exaggerated, bogus or blank receipts and were offended (and often nasty) when I refused (if I had to do that job again I'd probably just cave in).

My step Dad worked for his Father in law's Building Company until he discovered that they were being awarded work as part of an elaborate scam (this was later uncovered and resulted in convictions).

I bet there's a lot more of this stuff going on than we would like to believe....

Welcome to real life, to quote Bertrand Russell:

'Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim.'

Comment

It seems endemic in all walks of life.

A few pens from the stationery cupboard here, a million or two from the accounts there...it's all theft and corruption, regardless of the scale.

I work on the basis of Judge Dredd looking over my shoulder and ask myself if he would approve, if ever presented with a quandry.

Which is why I shopped a boss to the cops for "creative accounting" (his wife was doing "consultancy" work, when in fact no work took place at all upon detailed investigation and surveillance)
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I had a friend whose uncle was head of security at Marks and Spencer. He said that Lord Sieff's son was caught drink driving and police were bribed to drop the charge.

A few months ago a friend paid £50 to get off a speeding ticket.

As much as I hate to admit atw might be right about something, I think there is less corruption in the UK than in Russia. Except the family courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          I work on the basis of Judge Dredd looking over my shoulder and ask myself if he would approve, if ever presented with a quandry.

Which is why I shopped a boss to the cops for "creative accounting" (his wife was doing "consultancy" work, when in fact no work took place at all upon detailed investigation and surveillance)
          BGG - I now realise tha the internet was invented to provide a window into your soul!

1st post ages to make make me laugh out loud - Absolutely Priceless

Comment

Working...
          X