• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changes to the law?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to the law?

I've recieved this from my agency, Sanderson, demanding that I provide:

* Certificate of Incorporation
    * VAT Certificate (if appropriate)
    * Employers Liability Insurance
    * Professional Indemnity Insurance
    * Public Liability Insurance
    * Passport or other relevant documentation such as residence
    permit, registration certificate or Immigration Status Document [showing
    right of abode / right to work in the UK where applicable] (please do
    not fax copy of Passport)
    * Proof of Residence [e.g. utility bill showing residential
    address, dated within the last 3 months]
    * Limited Company Details (Form 3)
    * 2 Referees (Form 4)

Now, I've managed to get them to accept not recieving most of it since I've already worked for them for five months but they keep insisting that changes in the law means they're required to have copies of passport and that I have the three types of insurance!

After reading other threads here I suggested blanking out the photo but my contact there says they need the copy for ID. Now, no-one at the agency has ever met me and the quality of the copy is so poor I could have stuck a random photo on there with bluetack and they wouldn't know. I can't get him to understand how silly this is.

He's managed to get our IT manager to believe that changes in the law means that I am now required to have insurance. I haven't heard this before, can someone confirm this? Sanderson's legal department is clueless and has been unable to provide me with evidence.

I'm leaving Sanderson now if nothing else because of the annoyance factor.

Thanks

Just tell them you don't have a passport (or driving licence) ie you've never been abroad or driven a car - that will confuse them !
    Last edited by moorfield; 23 April 2008, 09:45.

Comment

None of the insurances is mandatory by law. EL used to be, but not anymore for 1 man bands. However many clients specify PL and PI as a requirement.

Comment

Ltd Co or Umbrella

If you operate a Ltd. Co, all the above relating to it are valid requirements, inc all 3 insurances. If anything, clients are reassured and you are one more step further away from IR35. Regarding your private details, only your passport is required to comply with the new employment regulations. I don't see the point of asking for proof of address, then again I can't see why so many are reluctant to provide one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
          I don't see the point of asking for proof of address, then again I can't see why so many are reluctant to provide one.

I'd be reluctant to provide anything like this if it involved trusting it to the postal service.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
            If you operate a Ltd. Co, all the above relating to it are valid requirements, inc all 3 insurances. If anything, clients are reassured and you are one more step further away from IR35.
            If you operate a one person limited company and don't have any employees you don't need EL. However you probably need the other 2 particularly if you work outside your home and are responsible for/can touch a live system.

From recent losses the special commissioner only give a f*** about whether they can show your contract and working conditions fall foul of IR35.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Send them the one here and see if they notice.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

compulsary insurance

the insurance thing bugs me its like everyone wants a piece" it is very annoying so you cant trust anyone. It took me ages but i found a good company and i trust them www.oliver-black.co.uk to sort out my pay and i can phone her anytime to ask whats happening with pay, insurance changes in law etc. hey let me know how much to put aside for my year end tax and insurance etc. they do all that for me. they might know if its compulsary..

I've recieved this from my agency, Sanderson, demanding that I provide:

* Certificate of Incorporation
                * VAT Certificate (if appropriate)
                * Employers Liability Insurance
                * Professional Indemnity Insurance
                * Public Liability Insurance
                * Passport or other relevant documentation such as residence
                permit, registration certificate or Immigration Status Document [showing
                right of abode / right to work in the UK where applicable] (please do
                not fax copy of Passport)
                * Proof of Residence [e.g. utility bill showing residential
                address, dated within the last 3 months]
                * Limited Company Details (Form 3)
                * 2 Referees (Form 4)

Now, I've managed to get them to accept not recieving most of it since I've already worked for them for five months but they keep insisting that changes in the law means they're required to have copies of passport and that I have the three types of insurance!

After reading other threads here I suggested blanking out the photo but my contact there says they need the copy for ID. Now, no-one at the agency has ever met me and the quality of the copy is so poor I could have stuck a random photo on there with bluetack and they wouldn't know. I can't get him to understand how silly this is.

He's managed to get our IT manager to believe that changes in the law means that I am now required to have insurance. I haven't heard this before, can someone confirm this? Sanderson's legal department is clueless and has been unable to provide me with evidence.

I'm leaving Sanderson now if nothing else because of the annoyance factor.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Comment

Right, contradicting statements... Can the people saying I need the insurance point me to the relevant legislation then?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    If you operate a one person limited company and don't have any employees you don't need EL. However you probably need the other 2 particularly if you work outside your home and are responsible for/can touch a live system.
                    You only need them in the sense that you (someone with a house) need house insurance.

If you think that you can self insure, there is no reason why you cannot take on this risk yourself.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X