• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Star Wars and The Matrix are Japanese Movies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Wars and The Matrix are Japanese Movies

On a trivia note, if you get the chance watch a Japanese movie from the 50's called Hidden Fortress, this is where George Lucas got 'inspiration' from when creating Star Wars. I was amazed when watching this how much he completely lifted, it's not far off the same movie except he has set Star Wars in space, there are even a comic duo walking through desert like terrain at the beginning who became R2D2 and C3PO, and Lucas even lifted the scene fades from here. So much for originality.

It seems copying Japanese movies that the majority have not seen is quite an American habit, with the Wachowski brothers blatantly ripping off Ghost in the Shell with the Matrix too:

http://www.mig81.com/matrixgits/page1.html

And let's not forget everyone's favourite director Tarantino, who has ripped off more Hong King martial arts movies than I can be bothered to name, then there's Scorsese With 'The Departed' which ripped off Internal Affairs, again from the East, and got an oscar for it.

Don't get me wrong I like all the aforementioned movies, but maybe more people should take an interest in movies from the East, and they might see a more accomplished and original version of the next up-and-coming Tarantino movie, or Star Wars/Matrix installation before it's been made.

On a closing note, here's a sample of one of my favourite Eastern set pieces, it happens to be the longest unedited fight scene in a movie, I wouldn't be surprised if Tarantino lifts this scene wholesale should he make a Kill Bill 3 or 4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJtuTxovQA

I've also noticed Coronation Street often blatently rips off story lines from Eastenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post

And let's not forget everyone's favourite director Tarantino, who has ripped off more Hong King martial arts movies than I can be bothered to name, then there's Scorsese With 'The Departed' which ripped off Internal Affairs, again from the East, and got an oscar for it.
      Infernal

The Departed wasn't a "rip off", it was a legitimate remake and the screen writer for Infernal Affairs was credited as a writer.

I should point out that I watched Infernal Affairs some years ago, I'm a keen watcher of eastern cinema.
      Last edited by Spacecadet; 23 April 2008, 08:23.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

The Wachowski Brothers have acknowledged the influence of 'Ghost in the Shell' - admittedly a pretty significant influence.
        Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Isn't the matrix based on the book Neuromancer by that Will Gibson fella?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Infernal

The Departed wasn't a "rip off", it was a legitimate remake and the screen writer for Infernal Affairs was credited as a writer.
            Yeah, thanks, there is a story to that error, a friend disputing the Western translation, although the proper name strictly is Mou gaan dou which translates to neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
              Yeah, thanks, there is a story to that error, a friend disputing the Western translation, although the proper name strictly is Mou gaan dou which translates to neither.
              translates as "Non-Stop Way" which doesn't make much sense in english
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

No reward for innovation

The whole entertainment world is saturated with copies, remakes, band reformations, repeats and so on. Everything from the subtle plagiarism of content from films as you describe, to the completely unsubtle NBA or NFL or Fifa 2000/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 games that are released every year.

Then you get something that is fairly new or atleast brings some new creative input and the writers go on strike because they get a pittance.
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Isn't the matrix based on the book Neuromancer by that Will Gibson fella?
                  It isn't based on it as far as I am aware, but there are similarities. The Matrix makes reference to a ton of stuff.
                  Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I like the Matrix - saw all 3 at the IMAX and it was wow
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X