PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought

wobbegong
23rd April 2008, 09:02
As it's St. Georges Day (yes, I know he was supposed to be a Turk), a local radio station was asking listeners to phone in with the names of great Englishmen, with the proviso that he/she had to be alive and not actors or sportsmen.

The only call suggested Sir Edmund Hillary (yes, I know he was a New Zealander), but it made me think, who qualifies as a "great" Englishman these days?

Do the congregation have any nominations?

sasguru
23rd April 2008, 09:03
No. Next.

DiscoStu
23rd April 2008, 09:05
I nominate Wilmslow.

Spacecadet
23rd April 2008, 09:08
On a similar theme
St Patrick isn't Irish

Troll
23rd April 2008, 09:12
Stephen William Hawking
Tim Berners-Lee

HTH

Charles Foster Kane
23rd April 2008, 09:13
Bertrand Russell and Stephen Hawking for a start.

Moscow Mule
23rd April 2008, 09:14
Stephen Fry.

sasguru
23rd April 2008, 09:15
Bertrand Russell and Stephen Hawking for a start.

Bertrand Russell is dead.
Agree with Hawking and Berners-Lee.
Strange that these 2 are scientists in a country that despises them.

DiscoStu
23rd April 2008, 09:15
Her Royal Highness Mrs Thatcher

Troll
23rd April 2008, 09:17
James Dyson ?

sasguru
23rd April 2008, 09:19
I nominate any person at all who has a skill, works hard and ignores the current zeitgeist

Dow Jones
23rd April 2008, 10:02
As it's St. Georges Day (yes, I know he was supposed to be a Turk), a local radio station was asking listeners to phone in with the names of great Englishmen, with the proviso that he/she had to be alive and not actors or sportsmen.

The only call suggested Sir Edmund Hillary (yes, I know he was a New Zealander), but it made me think, who qualifies as a "great" Englishman these days?

Do the congregation have any nominations?

Maggie Thatcher

BTW, get your facts right. St. George was a Christian saint and lived in the Greek Orthodox Byzantine Empire, most of which now lies in modern Turkey. That doesn't make him a Turk FFS, no more than Jesus was a Palestinian or Muhammad a Saudi.

Pickle2
23rd April 2008, 10:06
Maggie Thatcher

BTW, get your facts right. St. George was a Christian saint and lived in the Greek Orthodox Byzantine Empire, most of which now lies in modern Turkey. That doesn't make him a Turk FFS, no more than Jesus was a Palestinian or Muhammad a Saudi.

St. George is the patron saint of Aragon, Canada, Catalonia, China, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Montenegro, Palestine, Portugal, Russia, and Serbia

Popular chap isnt he, whereever he is from. I thought he was greek anyway?

M_B
23rd April 2008, 10:14
That page on wikipedia is busy today !

Marina
23rd April 2008, 11:57
I nominate any person at all who has a skill, works hard and ignores the current zeitgeist

That's a bit harsh on zeity isn't it? Most of his posts here seem OK to me.