• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Colleagues IT Blunders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colleagues IT Blunders

I have a habit of creating very long filenames and once noticed from my seat a couple of yards behind a colleague that he was in my Unix home directory.

So I got out of seat and peeked over his shoulder and sure enough he was. But he didn't know I had sussed him!

One minute later I found that my entire Unix home directory had been wiped-out! (He had root access! eek!)

Needless to say he denied ever having been in my home directory at all, despite him being a devout christian! The sys admin guy wouldn't help out in nailing him using log files!

Yes, he was a permie and you may not be surprised to find out he is now a senior manager at the same company! Jeeze!!!!!!!

What IT blunders have you witnessed at work??

Over to you!...

I was working with this real dork one time, and got access to his home directory, so I reckoned it'd be funny to watch his face when he discovered I'd wiped it all out. I know that's what Jesus would have wanted me to do.

It's all good now though, I'm his boss and father of his children (He doesn't know, poor soul).
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

The Classic:

HR bint sends a mail out to the "Everyone" distribution list and accidentaly attaches the salary details of the whole company.

As a contractor, I wasn't on there ofcourse
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Years ago when working for a large retailer, a colleague of mine once sent the entire EPOS system of the flagship store offline causing chaos as store staff had to do everything manually including running around looking for prices on shelf edge labels.

It wouldn't have been so much of a problem if the company chairman hadn't been doing TV interviews in said store at the same time
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Accidentally on an advanced AIX admin course did:

cd / usr/local/someproduct ; rm -fr *

As root... that was kind of embarrassing....
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Disco: If you are that very same guy then shame on you for bedding a married woman with 5 kids in the marital bed whilst it was still warm after hubby went to work!

;-)
            Last edited by up4it; 24 April 2008, 14:04.

Comment

I once thought that I had met an IT chap with a personality and basic people skills, but I was mistaken.

Sorry IT geeks...

*ducks for cover*
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

French contractor configuring one of those "auto dial someone's mobile if there's a problem" systems just put 99999999999 in the phone number bit of the test system.

Police were not happy campers!

Comment

Worked with someone who shut off the power supply to the air conditioning in the server room accidentally, causing death by overheating of the mail server, domain controllers, file servers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
                    Disco: If you are that very same guy then shame on you for bedding a married woman with 5 kids in the marital bed whilst it was still warm after hubby went to work!

Ar**H**e!! ;-)
                    What on earth are you talking about?
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X