PDA

View Full Version : Happy ANZAC Day

tay
25th April 2008, 08:21
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well"

Atta Turk

PAH
25th April 2008, 08:39
I'm going to hold out for Happy Prozac Day.

BA to the Stars
25th April 2008, 08:46
A big salute to our Commonwealth colleagues and brothers in arms when we needed them most.

cailin maith
25th April 2008, 08:49
A big salute to our Commonwealth colleagues and brothers in arms when we needed them most.

Are you being sarcy? If not...WHS :)

tay
25th April 2008, 08:50
I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.

BA to the Stars
25th April 2008, 08:53
Are you being sarcy? If not...WHS :)

No totally serious. I admire the Aussies & Kiwi's for the help they gave us during wars (and also the other non-ANZAC's but also Commonwealth such as Canada & India). It seems that they sometimes got some of the roughest tasks too.

cailin maith
25th April 2008, 08:54
I am not sure why the UK doesnt have a national holiday on a war remembrance day. Its a huge event in Aus and NZ, tens of thousands of people of all ages attend dawn services in every town and city, there was one in london this morning with a few thousand Antipodeans at the NZ war memorial in Hyde park corner, was funny seeing all the commuters going past at 5am wondering why the hell the place was packed at 5am. The police shut down the roads for 10 minutes as well so the minutes silence, reveille and last post was done in dead silence.

I'm loath to ever admit that I would agree with you :rolleyes: but in this case, I do.... it's bonkers.

tay
25th April 2008, 08:54
I'm going to hold out for Happy Prozac Day.

What a great example of someone trying to hard to be funny and failing.

sasguru
25th April 2008, 08:56
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us, where they lie side by side here in this country of ours... You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; Your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well"

Atta Turk

That is indeed a beautiful quote.

sasguru
25th April 2008, 08:56
No totally serious. I admire the Aussies & Kiwi's for the help they gave us during wars (and also the other non-ANZAC's but also Commonwealth such as Canada & India). It seems that they sometimes got some of the roughest tasks too.

Lions led by donkeys springs to mind ...There was a serious lack of professionalism in the British Army officer class for most of the 20th century. I suspect things are better now

Moscow Mule
25th April 2008, 08:57

We do, it's just it's on a Sunday.

BrilloPad
25th April 2008, 08:58
The kiwis did a great job during the war - fought hard - unlike the RWC.

PAH
25th April 2008, 09:05
What a great example of someone trying to hard to be funny and failing.

It's was funny in my little world, the drugs have worn off now.

oracleslave
25th April 2008, 09:26
RWC?

Rugby World Cup

HTH.

oracleslave
25th April 2008, 10:35
That's what Google said... but I didn't believe it... :D

Hard to believe I know that google is as accurate as SKA but sometimes they do get it right.

Lucy
25th April 2008, 11:33
Appreciate the sentiment tay, but not sure I would use the word 'happy'.

snaw
25th April 2008, 12:08

It's a bit different for you guys. Not just remembering a war, also sort of the birth of consciousness of a nation(s).

Not meaning to be dismissive in the slightest (Though knowing you're a sensitive wee soul you'll probably embark on a month of stalking me again) you guys don't really have much in the way of history, so express it in events like this (or sport).

It's also my wedding anniversary today ... great if we move back to aus, it'll always be on a public holiday.

snaw
25th April 2008, 12:09
Lions led by donkeys springs to mind ...There was a serious lack of professionalism in the British Army officer class for most of the 20th century. I suspect things are better now

Funny that, Gallipoli was our greatest leaders idea (At least he was held responsible). Old Winston that is.

Lucy
25th April 2008, 12:12
It's a bit different for you guys. Not just remembering a war, also sort of the birth of consciousness of a nation(s).
Not meaning to be dismissive in the slightest (Though knowing you're a sensitive wee soul you'll probably embark on a month of stalking me again) you guys don't really have much in the way of history, so express it in events like this (or sport).

It's also my wedding anniversary today ... great if we move back to aus, it'll always be on a public holiday.

Completely agree, Aus & NZ saw themselves as another part of the empire, 'where Britain goes we go' etc After the ANZAC losses this started to be questioned.

Moscow Mule
25th April 2008, 12:16

I don't see Anzac day commemorations as any different to Remembrance Sunday - at least as it is observed in my household.

snaw
25th April 2008, 12:21
I don't see Anzac day commemorations as any different to Remembrance Sunday - at least as it is observed in my household.

They feel different to me, though partly that could be just because ANZAC day is a public holiday on Aus. But historically it's generally recognised as a turning point in Australia's history (Not so sure about NZ, never lived there).

The Lone Gunman
25th April 2008, 12:38
Well done Tay. ANZACs should be remembered and honoured.
Is there a symbol like the poppy we use?

I shall be playing the Pogues "and the band played waltzing Matilda" in their honour this afternoon. (I dont have it by anyone else).

PAH
25th April 2008, 12:48
As someone who was very much into running as a lad, for me Gallipoli is a much better film than Chariots of Fire, yet which one won the oscars? The wrong one.

Moscow Mule
25th April 2008, 13:07
As someone who was very much into running as a lad, for me Gallipoli is a much better film than Chariots of Fire, yet which one won the oscars? The wrong one.

Hasn't it got Mel Gibson in it? Reason enough to deny an Oscar in my book.

Mailman
25th April 2008, 15:52
Been up since 330 this morning, was at the Dawn Service and then back at it again at Westminster Abbey at noon.

I reckon you poms should definately have a proper day of rememerance (ie. any other day except a weekend!). This would definately help you guys with having pride in your country.

Having said that, I bet there would be some numpty who would have his human rights infringed by such a day. Probably one of those religion of peace followers! :eek:

Mailman

Moscow Mule
25th April 2008, 16:06
Been up since 330 this morning, was at the Dawn Service and then back at it again at Westminster Abbey at noon.

..... and on the sauce since then .....

Mailman

tay
25th April 2008, 17:07
Well done Tay. ANZACs should be remembered and honoured.
Is there a symbol like the poppy we use?

I shall be playing the Pogues "and the band played waltzing Matilda" in their honour this afternoon. (I dont have it by anyone else).

Yes we use the poppy as well.

This isnt a day for showing off how NZ does it, I am under no doubt that British people would care as much for a national memorial day as we do, I dont agree with Snaw about that. He is right about the birth of a nation, but we have a seperate holiday for that.
ANZAC day is truely about respect and remembrance, not chest thumping. Simply an acknowledgement made to people who died for our country.

I think its a real shame that Nov 11th isnt a national holiday.

The Lone Gunman
25th April 2008, 17:20
Yes we use the poppy as well.

This isnt a day for showing off how NZ does it, I am under no doubt that British people would care as much for a national memorial day as we do, I dont agree with Snaw about that. He is right about the birth of a nation, but we have a seperate holiday for that.
ANZAC day is truely about respect and remembrance, not chest thumping. Simply an acknowledgement made to people who died for our country.

I think its a real shame that Nov 11th isnt a national holiday.
I agree but we have developed a tradition of remembrance Sunday and it works for most.
Shame some of the others on this site take a thread like this and try and score petty points from it.

PAH
25th April 2008, 17:46
Shame some of the others on this site take a thread like this and try and score petty points from it.

Yes it is a shame. Sorry for being so offensive.

[whistles and walks away very quietly...in the direction of the thicker skinned members of the zoo. I can see a rhino. Hope he's not that pleased to see me.]