• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(Tax Avoidance != Tax Evasion)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Tax Avoidance != Tax Evasion)

When I was just a lud, I oft heard elders insist upon the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. The simple distinction was made, obviously in defense of tax mitigation measures and went simply as:

"Tax Evasion is illegal, Tax Avoidance is smart, legal tax management."

This simple observation became my adopted understanding of the matter. After all, in those days, one would respect the wisdom of one's elders.

So who shares my impression that the terms are being deliberately smudged together in an effort to get rid of the destinction and tarnish 'Avoidance' with Evasion's brush?

Furthermore, who shares my even wilder hallucination that the masses, baying like sheep, are falling for it?
    When you encounter speed humps, sound your horn in protest.

Originally posted by beercohol View Post
    When I was just a lud, I oft heard elders insist upon the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. The simple distinction was made, obviously in defense of tax mitigation measures and went simply as:

"Tax Evasion is illegal, Tax Avoidance is smart, legal tax management."

This simple observation became my adopted understanding of the matter. After all, in those days, one would respect the wisdom of one's elders.

So who shares my impression that the terms are being deliberately smudged together in an effort to get rid of the destinction and tarnish 'Avoidance' with Evasion's brush?

Furthermore, who shares my even wilder hallucination that the masses, baying like sheep, are falling for it?
    I'm not convinced the masses care about tax avoidance measures by IT contractors...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

No but they care about tax avoidance on the grand scale, and beercohol is right, I think 'avoidance' has become synonomous with 'evasion' when talking about tax... I call it tax 'planning'
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

by HMRC?

As long as the plebs have the sun and big brother they will be happy.

Comment

I think I heard the news this morning describing Wesley Snipes conviction as 'tax advoidance'.....

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
            I think I heard the news this morning describing Wesley Snipes conviction as 'tax advoidance'.....
            T
            See, See!!!!! Evoidance and avasion all mixed together in a evil beverage!

Comment

See, See!!!!! Evoidance and avasion all mixed together in a evil beverage!
              Have you been avoiding a lot ?

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
                Have you been avoiding a lot ?
                Yes, of course. Haven't you?

Comment

Yes, of course. Haven't you?
                  Just a few months. But it has been with one of those loan thingies. I think I am jumping off next contract. It is smelly.

Comment

famously impregnable and authentic

Aha, Wikipedia (famously impregnable and authentic):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_evasion

"Public Opinion on Tax Avoidance

Tax avoidance may be considered to be the dodging of one's duties to society, or alternatively the right of every citizen to structure one's affairs in a manner allowed by law, to pay no more tax than what is required. Attitudes vary from approval through neutrality to outright hostility. Attitudes may vary depending on the steps taken in the avoidance scheme, or the perceived unfairness of the tax being avoided.

In the judiciary, different judges have taken different attitudes. As a generalization, for example, judges in the United Kingdom before the 1970s regarded tax avoidance with neutrality; but nowadays they regard it with increasing hostility."

Comment

Working...
                    X