• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motivation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motivation

Why is it so difficult to motivate yourself to work some days?
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    You have days when it's *not* difficult?
    B00med!

Comment

I have the same problem... it's wierd since on the days which I do knuckle down and get stuff done I actually enjoy it a little, the day goes much quicker and get a sense of fulfilment and job satisfaction... it's just that first hurdle of switching this forum and the rest of the net off!
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Or study?

I've had coursework to do for two weeks, for tomorrow, when am I doing it?

Today

Comment

The answer is that IT is tuliptie , grubby profession. I have been 6 months on my longest contract yet , and I have started exibiting typical permie behaviour -STAY LOW. I was not like that. But then I just remind myself - you here for money only.
          Last edited by Likely; 25 April 2008, 11:17.

Comment

I don't know and I can't be bothered to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Likely View Post
              The answer is that IT is tuliptie , grubby profession. I have been 6 months on my longest contract yet , and I have started exhibited typical permie behaviour -STAY LOW. I was not like that. But then I just remind myself - you here for money only.
              Pardon

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                The actual answer is it's because you don't have a particular incentive to work any one day, over another.

Yes we all work because we want to earn but as long as you meet deadlines etc there is no marginal benefit for you to work hard today (unless the deadline is tomorrow) so there is no point doing it.

If you were rewarded for finishing early or for extra work completed then you would be more motivated
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  If you were rewarded for finishing early or for extra work completed then you would be more motivated
                  I agree - being paid per hour/day effectively means you're penalised for working hard and being good. If I could be paid according to how hard I worked, I'd work hard all the time and take more time off to compensate, which would be better all round.

Like you said above, I hate having nothing to do and enjoy the days where I am busy.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Overcharging contractors, about time the OFT ruled against overcharging contractors for the sake of the poor clients
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X