PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

Spacecadet
25th April 2008, 10:36
Why is it so difficult to motivate yourself to work some days?

Advocate
25th April 2008, 10:43

You have days when it's *not* difficult?

MrRobin
25th April 2008, 10:48
I have the same problem... it's wierd since on the days which I do knuckle down and get stuff done I actually enjoy it a little, the day goes much quicker and get a sense of fulfilment and job satisfaction... it's just that first hurdle of switching this forum and the rest of the net off!

Lucy
25th April 2008, 10:53
Or study?

I've had coursework to do for two weeks, for tomorrow, when am I doing it?

Today:frown

Likely
25th April 2008, 11:02
The answer is that IT is shittie , grubby profession. I have been 6 months on my longest contract yet , and I have started exibiting typical permie behaviour -STAY LOW. I was not like that. But then I just remind myself - you here for money only.

PRC1964
25th April 2008, 11:04
I don't know and I can't be bothered to find out.

oracleslave
25th April 2008, 11:10
The answer is that IT is tuliptie , grubby profession. I have been 6 months on my longest contract yet , and I have started exhibited typical permie behaviour -STAY LOW. I was not like that. But then I just remind myself - you here for money only.

Pardon :confused:

MrRobin
25th April 2008, 11:42

The actual answer is it's because you don't have a particular incentive to work any one day, over another.

Yes we all work because we want to earn but as long as you meet deadlines etc there is no marginal benefit for you to work hard today (unless the deadline is tomorrow) so there is no point doing it.

If you were rewarded for finishing early or for extra work completed then you would be more motivated

VectraMan
25th April 2008, 12:58
If you were rewarded for finishing early or for extra work completed then you would be more motivated

I agree - being paid per hour/day effectively means you're penalised for working hard and being good. If I could be paid according to how hard I worked, I'd work hard all the time and take more time off to compensate, which would be better all round.

Like you said above, I hate having nothing to do and enjoy the days where I am busy.

Bagpuss
25th April 2008, 13:00
Overcharging contractors, about time the OFT ruled against overcharging contractors for the sake of the poor clients

Zippy
25th April 2008, 14:36
Because - despite your best efforts - the client has insisted on doing it their way and the system is now shagged. Only a few more days Zip. Keep going - you CAN do it.

A purely hypothetical example of course... :wink

beaker
25th April 2008, 14:42
I agree - being paid per hour/day effectively means you're penalised for working hard and being good. If I could be paid according to how hard I worked, I'd work hard all the time and take more time off to compensate, which would be better all round.

Like you said above, I hate having nothing to do and enjoy the days where I am busy.

Interesting... a friend of mine has recently started work as a "fiberglasser" ie fixing up the fiberglass on trucks etc. He gets paid per job done and can work as many hours as he wants (within reason) each day. So, lots of work done, lots of pay. Few jobs done, few pay! :eyes