• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most Unwholesome Colleague

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Unwholesome Colleague

Who's the most unwholesome colleague (or other individual your work has brought you into contact with)?

I once did a gig which involved the Royal Navy.

A clean-cut and wholesome bunch you might imagine - and on the whole they were.

However, RN runs some pretty obscure and ancient mainframe software, including a strange, hybrid, non-relational database.

My project needed to communicate with this unwieldy behemoth and so the RN's resident DB expert (a civilian) was duly called upon to attend a planning meeting.

My team an I were assembled in a meeting room at our own offices. RN were coming up from Portsmouth on the train and were an hour and half late for the meeting (good job there wasn't a war on).

A couple of purposeful looking chaps and a chapess strode into the room and offered apologies for their tardiness.

We sat down and I was about to begin the meeting when in shambled (and I use the word advisedly) the skankiest looking bloke I'd ever seen.

Imagine your worst 'UNIX guru' stereotype with all of his attendant hygiene and personality deficiencies, then multiply by 10.

He extended what I can only describe as a 'claw'. His finger nails were about an half an inch long and stained a shade of sunset orange by nicotine.

His long hair looked matted and his whispy, straggly beard contained specks, globs and crumbs of God knows what and his greasy, bottle-lens NHS specs completed the entire unsavory picture.

I shook his 'hand', desperately resisting the urge to wipe mine on my trousers and wondering how I could ever eat with it again.

He took his seat at the table and fished out a bashed-up sandwich and a bottle of Lilt from the old school satchel he used as a briefcase.

As he chomped and swigged, he elucidated the finer points of the obscure DB, spitting gobbets of tuna and chewed up wholemeal bread for a radius of several feet.

I was almost physically sick.

Throughout the entire performance, the rest of the RN team remained cheerfully impassive. Talk about British Grit!

My team were sat there appalled and astonished, and wondering whether this creature would suddenly stand up and reveal himself as Jeremy Beadle.

Alas no, he was for real
    Last edited by bogeyman; 25 April 2008, 11:45. Reason: sp.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

You should feel honoured. Not many people here have had the pleasure of meeting sasguru in the flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      You should feel honoured. Not many people here have had the pleasure of meeting sasguru in the flesh.
      I really didn't want to laugh then but
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Post of the day!

Comment

You're not all saying I've worked with sadguru too? What a small world it indeed is.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Not a colleague but a room mate at uni. In the second year we were one person short to fill a house. We decided to offer the room to a guy from Winchester, despite rumours we had heard.

He was quite a sarcastic little git but I put that down to him coming from the south east of England. Anyway, as time went on he became more reclusive and nocturnal, getting up durning the night, sleeping throughout the day. Never seemed to change his clothes (one playing football and going out on the town in them), the soap and shampoo in the bathroom gathered dust. Then the whole first floor of the house started to smell of him, gradually the smell spread throughout the house. The culmination of this disgusting residence was finding what I can only describe as a giant cornish pasty shaped turd blocking the pan. The smell was out of this world.

Last i heard he was packaging salads for M&S
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Not a colleague but a room mate at uni. In the second year we were one person short to fill a house. We decided to offer the room to a guy from Winchester, despite rumours we had heard.

He was quite a sarcastic little git but I put that down to him coming from the south east of England. Anyway, as time went on he became more reclusive and nocturnal, getting up durning the night, sleeping throughout the day. Never seemed to change his clothes (one playing football and going out on the town in them), the soap and shampoo in the bathroom gathered dust. Then the whole first floor of the house started to smell of him, gradually the smell spread throughout the house. The culmination of this disgusting residence was finding what I can only describe as a giant cornish pasty shaped turd blocking the pan. The smell was out of this world.

I will never buy a salad or a cornish pasty from M&S ever again

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                Who's the most unwholesome colleague (or other individual your work has brought you into contact with)?

I once did a gig which involved the Royal Navy.

A clean-cut and wholesome bunch you might imagine - and on the whole they were.

However, RN runs some pretty obscure and ancient mainframe software, including a strange, hybrid, non-relational database.

My project needed to communicate with this unwieldy behemoth and so the RN's resident DB expert (a civilian) was duly called upon to attend a planning meeting.

My team an I were assembled in a meeting room at our own offices. RN were coming up from Portsmouth on the train and were an hour and half late for the meeting (good job there wasn't a war on).

A couple of purposeful looking chaps and a chapess strode into the room and offered apologies for their tardiness.

We sat down and I was about to begin the meeting when in shambled (and I use the word advisedly) the skankiest looking bloke I'd ever seen.

Imagine your worst 'UNIX guru' stereotype with all of his attendant hygiene and personality deficiencies, then multiply by 10.

He extended what I can only describe as a 'claw'. His finger nails were about an half an inch long and stained a shade of sunset orange by nicotine.

His long hair looked matted and his whispy, straggly beard contained specks, globs and crumbs of God knows what and his greasy, bottle-lens NHS specs completed the entire unsavory picture.

I shook his 'hand', desperately resisting the urge to wipe mine on my trousers and wondering how I could ever eat with it again.

He took his seat at the table and fished out a bashed-up sandwich and a bottle of Lilt from the old school satchel he used as a briefcase.

As he chomped and swigged, he elucidated the finer points of the obscure DB, spitting gobbets of tuna and chewed up wholemeal bread for a radius of several feet.

I was almost physically sick.

Throughout the entire performance, the rest of the RN team remained cheerfully impassive. Talk about British Grit!

My team were sat there appalled and astonished, and wondering whether this creature would suddenly stand up and reveal himself as Jeremy Beadle.

Alas no, he was for real
                Yes I remember that meeting. The sandwich was very nice and it was salmon not tuna, FFS
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  I will never buy a salad or a cornish pasty from M&S ever again

To this day I cannot fathom how a man could give birth to such a thing, it defied physics
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Thanks BP, I went from laughing so hard it hurt, to feeling physically ill.

Comment

Working...
                    X