• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speculating on land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speculating on land

I have (another) daft idea.

I buy land that has no planning permission for residential property.

I apply agressively for planning permission (outline).

If agreed I sell at a profit (large).

If not I resell the land on at cost and try again.

e.g.

http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/la...le.asp?id=6796
    http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/la...le.asp?id=6167

Genius or cretin?
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 25 April 2008, 12:09.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Genius or cretin?

There are so many to choose from.

Comment

I have (another) daft idea.

I buy land that has no planning permission for residential property.

I apply agressively for planning permission (outline).

If agreed I sell at a profit (large).

Genius or cretin?
      The problem is, many people are doing this, so the land will be bought for more than its worth without planning, so if you don't get it you have an overpriced piece of land which may or may not resell for what you paid for it.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Factor in cost of funds - otherwise you'll be down more than a few quid on each deal.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Speculating on land
          Speculate at sea - much more fun.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

It's been done (being done) lots already. Google 'Landbanking'
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Factor in cost of funds - otherwise you'll be down more than a few quid on each deal.
              Cost of funds, cost of planning application (architects fees etc), legal fees, searches, surveys, stamp duty...... the list goes on. You will have to sell on at a profit if you dont get the planning. The fact the planning has been refused (Can be looked up easily) will deter a lot of buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
                The fact the planning has been refused (Can be looked up easily) will deter a lot of buyers.
                How do you do this?

Comment

I've got 200 acres on the moon if anyone is interested, first refusal to Lucy for her cream cheese farm
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    I've got 200 acres on the moon if anyone is interested, first refusal to Lucy for her cream cheese farm

I suppose it is easier for you to try and make fun of me here than it is to answer the perfectly reasonable question I pm'd you.

Comment

Working...
                    X